THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Pet bereavement

Pet bereavement

Hi there. I have recently had my elderly cat put to sleep as she was very unwell and the vet couldn't do anything to save her. She turned up at my house 16 years ago underweight, filthy and starving. I never had a pet before nor did I want one but she made herself at home and I instantly fell in love with her. I suppose I just want to hear that there are other people who have really struggled to cope with the loss of a pet. Other than my family who are all animal lovers and loved her as much as I did, people don't seem to understand and make me feel like I'm crazy for grieving this way for 'just a cat'. Has anyone else been made to feel this way? Would love to hear from you if you've had a similar experience

I dont think many will understand, unless they've loved a pet themselves. All the dogs I've had have been family, and it's devastating to lose a member of your family. I'm sorry for your loss.

we used to have 8 cats and are down to 4 now, each one has had me in tears when they passed, one took her last breath in my arms as we waited for the vets to open. I still miss each and every one.
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Bereavement does not depend on species. It is a measure of how much love we feel, as to how much the loss hits us.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but be glad that your heart works as it should, and perhaps once the pain begins to lessen - and it will - honour your lost love one and offer a loving home to another animal who needs one.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, NomadicRT, verticalis48

One of my dogs was put down last week :'( I'm fucking heart broken! That dog listened to me when nobody else did, he licked many of my tears away, he was there when no one else was. Ffs im bawling again now. Big hugs to you x

-- Posted from the
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    --
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, NomadicRT

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through it as well Lightbringer. My poor dog doesn't know what to do with herself. She keeps going to the spot where my cats bed used to be and just sits there staring. She's been such a star though. She senses how upset I've been and she hasn't left my side since it happened. She's so loyal, if only humans had animals hearts, the world would be a much better place. Thank you all for your kindness xxx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Hi
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    We recently had to have our cat put down and it is awful.........i still keep thinking i see her out of the corner of my eye........yelling for food as she always did until a few weeks before the end!
    I hand reared her from a week old and she hated everybody except me. She scratched anybody her dare invade her private space but i could do anything with her.
    She had so much character.
    It's such a loss but i can now look at it that she had an amazing life, did what she wanted to do, when she wanted to do it.
    It's a cliche but it gets easier and the time will come when you will smile more with the memories.
    All our animals have always been part of our family and it's just such a shame they never live long enough. But i couldn't live without them in my life........i like animals alot more than a lot of people tbh!
    We only have our dogs now and i love them so much. But the love you get from them is worth the heartache that will come in the future when i lose them.
    Take care of yourself xx

I had to get my girl put down just over a year ago because of cancer we could not beat. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and left me broken.

Most horrible thing in the world losing them,hugs to all....12 momths ago i lost my lovely dog.Still feels like it was yesterday.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

sorry for your loss xxx
    in my 44 yrs i've lost a cat to a RTA, had to PTS 2 dogs, a chinchilla, and a ~30yr old horse - it doesn't get any easier as i loved each one the same, but, time does heal.
    i have found that although you will never replace the friend you lost, others will come along and steal your heart away when the time is right.

be kind to yourself and don't let others make you feel guilty for grieving.

much love xxx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, NomadicRT, wurzel

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    I doubt that anything any of us can say will make you feel better, but it might be marginally better to know that you are not alone.
    Groove is right. When we lost our last dog Bill, we also lost a coffee table - my husband put his fist through it when we got back from the vets.
    I have lost 3 cats to RTAs, one was euthanised at our vets and another, my Fred died in my arms.
    I'm Daisysmum - Daisy and I are inextricably linked. I have dog walking gloves that smell of Daisy and a sound file of the mutt snoring for when my insomnia is too bad away from home.
    You have lost a family member, grieve for them as you would expect anyone to grieve for a much-loved family member; to not do so would be unhealthy.

Ignore those who do not understand, they have obviously missed out on one of the most fulfilling and meaningful relationships you can have.
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 19-07--2017 at 01:43 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: 4scoreand20