Thread: The school with no rules!

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

The school with no rules!

A typical day involves pupils spending their time playing outside wearing what they like.

They don’t have desks but instead sit on blankets and huddle round wood burning stoves.

The kids are not tutored in traditional subjects but instead are taught ‘how to resolve problems’, ‘find their real passion in life’ and how to play freely without supervision.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, marshlander, SpandangledKitti

Sounds like a good place to learn. Many kids have benefited from attending forest schools over the last ten years.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

I need to find one of these places up north

-- Posted from the
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    --
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Anyone heard of summerhill i think it was called....was a bit controversial at the time...but they both sound ideal xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Nearly twenty years ago I worked in a local authority's advisory service. Our boss told us that when we designed courses for teachers we had to put in what he called the "OFSTED frightener" - i.e. a phrase that would scare teachers into buying a place on the course. The whole notion made me feel sick ... as did having to undertake the inspections themselves.

I love it that these teachers are finding more interesting ways of helping children learn. Great to see teachers busting out of the straitjacket.

That looks great. I used to live near one of those Steiner schools and the kids were allowed to wear what they want...there was always loads of goths an punks running about

Tuning In
    Wouldnt it be great if that was the norm. Termly fees there are more than a bit crazy though.
    I rebel on homework and mine do very little. They play in the garden climbing trees and so on when they get home, as children should! The teachers seem to accept that's the way it's going to be thankfully because I'd tell them to get stuffed if they did try to force it on us.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Chilling Out
    Yeah I struggle with the idea of mainstream education too, but fee paying alternatives set my hair all bristling.
    Currently working on a 'flexischool' arrangement with local state primary. Me being fairly directly anarcho about the whole thing has bought us a lot of leeway from the school. Does my nut to think of my child getting involved his little bloody uniform still.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sprouted

I worked at a Steiner/Waldorf school and it was truly amazing. So beneficial for the children.