Thread: Advice please - Camper buying and using across the world...

Advice please - Camper buying and using across the world...

Hello beauties!

I currently live on the magic island of Ibiza where I not so long ago made friends with a beautiful being who is now my lovely lady and we have decided to sell up our stuff, buy a camper and travel the world...

I've done camper life before but only in the UK so I have some questions I am hoping some light could be shed onto:

1) I don't want to buy a van in UK as I'd have to bring it back every year for an MOT. We want to travel for the foreseeable future so I had thought of buying a camper somewhere in Europe, somewhere like Germany where it would be easier to go back to for the tests

2) Where in Europe is good to buy vans at a good price? I hear Germany is pretty good for cheap motors - Any other tips on this one?

3) Does anyone know countries that have longer periods between "MOT" testing? I hear Holland is 2 years for older vehicles... The longer we can go without tests would be magic.

4) How do I register a van in my name if I am not a resident within the country I purchase it from?

5) What is the insurance situation with driving all over the world? Are there solutions for this? Any recommended companies?

I hope you beauties can offer some advice. Thanks in advance
    Vegan Power!

Tuning In
    Hi JayL,

Sounds like a fantastic idea, I'll be following your progress with interest. I have found this site to be full of fantastic vehicles at prices that suit every budget:
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I go the mobile route I'll probably buy something from that site. I don't know what your budget is but Germany definitely looks like it is the biggest marketplace for EXV's - Global Expedition Vehicles. Here's an example:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's actually not that expensive, in the scheme of things. I also came across this French guy who tok his whole family across the globe. His blog is in French (of course) but a little work with Google translator or similar and you should be able to get the gist. Here's the page of his blog with all the practical info:

You should also consider buying older trucks. They're often ultra reliable because there's no computer chicanery to worry about and they were often over-engineered. They may be a bit more thirsty on fuel but I think that's a fair price to pay for not having to get MOT or Tax. Here's what the DVLA say:

8 January 1977 onwards

You must get an MOT and pay vehicle tax.
    1 January 1960 to 7 January 1977 

You must get an MOT, but don’t have to pay vehicle tax.
    Before 1 January 1960

You don’t need to get an MOT or pay vehicle tax.

I guess it depends on how mechanically minded you are but remember that, in some areas of the world, they will be used to seeing older trucks and may be much better placed to help you if you get into trouble in an old truck or you may have a better chance of fixing using whatever you have at hand.

There's also this site:

This site is all in German but if you choose the "Wohnwagen" search option you'll get some mobile homes/campers for sale. It tends to be more the motorhome kind of vehicle here, the kind that pensioners drive (!) but there are often some self-builds and custom jobs.

I also found this guy's blog:

He seemed quite keen to chat with me via email until I started asking about costs, but he's written a fairly comprehensive blog about his self-build. You should also look into something called a "Carnet de Passage en Douanes" which I think is like an international customs document that you need to get into some countries.

I hope you find some of this to be useful.

Namaste
    Last edited by oblongdot; 09-07--2017 at 02:42 PM.