THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Drone power

Drone power

So the police are being allowed to use drones to spy on us even more! Clearly that is not the brief but it sure as hell will be the reality! Is it not enough that there are cameras on every street corner without there being aerial surveillance as well? We are one of the most spied upon nations in the world and it is nothing to be proud of.
    Civil liberties are being encroached on at every opportunity and " if you've done nothing wrong there's nothing to worry about" is absolute bullshit and a cop out. We as a people need to say enough is enough and demand from those who serve us in government (yeah yeah I know) a reassurance that the use of drones will be regulated and policed by an independent body!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

I remember hearing a few years back that they were thinking of uses in crowd control , civil disobedience etc and were to be trialled during solstice at the henge , their plans were scuppered when the civil aviation authority demanded trained operators and slight path info
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Apparently the new "idea" is that the police will be able to circumvent civil aviation laws

Drones of different sizes have been around for years it's just since that they have become more affordable that peeps are taking notice thanks to the antics of a few idiots endangering aircraft and spying on folk. There are set rules for their use and rules for surveillance. Anything they record in the public space on behalf of any public body is accountable and I could be wrong, open to public viewing unless it's national security. I've no problem with them being used on the latter as long as it's not abused. Anything which would prevent another Manchester gets my vote but as for the arseholes who fly over uninvited............

Cigar for that man.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, zendaze

I don't understand how a drone would have prevented the Manchester atrocity

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by etherea
    I don't understand how a drone would have prevented the Manchester atrocity
    Covert surveillance on terrorist suspects, who knows what the secret squirrels had on the offenders there but every little bit of info in the war against such scum who carry out attacks on innocents is needed no matter how it's obtained.

There have been several cases of late,where drones have nearly collided with aircraft.Thats a worry in itself.I did mention this in another post,but a drone came over my allotment site the other day.I could hear it approaching,looked skywards and yep,there it was.I need a rifle!
    You are the creator of your own reality!

Heavenly Creature
    We've got one started flitting around here, very annoying, apparently a .22 can take one down, so I've heard
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, zendaze

This is purely coincidental,but I recently enquired about a shooting range
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Originally Posted by Cobra
    .I need a rifle!
    I need a little lady like this first one

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I need a little lady like this first one
    You might find your weapon isn't big enough..
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Wulfie

Yeah but is'nt it how you use it?

I don't think it would be unfair to say that she looks like she's had plenty of experience...
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Heavenly Creature
    These are quite good too, if you catch it close enough...

I dont like to fire my rifle above eye level , easy miss and where is that .22 gonna land ?

Heavenly Creature
    I can remember, as a lad, a chap who used an ex-army Enfield rifle to shoot crows and pigeons in winter, over some allotment gardens. Mainly to keep his hand in. Until someone pointed out to him that the bullets - spent but still very dangerous - were falling toward the village of Hardingstone....
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Off the beaten track .... Maxal's Avatar
    I am usually pro-most-civil-liberties. However, drones are a bit like the internet, in that the law has not properly caught up. They are being used for mischief (I know, I sound like a parent), and should be got rid of before they do more. They can be used to spy and to deliver all sorts of things weapons and spice to prisons. The prisons are in a real mess because of spice. I don't think drones sould be allowed in open spaces - and if they are, people should be allowed to throw rocks at them.

I was in a nature reserve the other day, sun-basking, my book ignored, and one was hovering over me for ages. I wondered if it was the police, as there are reports. It went away, I suppose, that's it, why should I care more? But what if they get bored and start doing more mischievous things: dropping water ballons or worse.

I suppose part of my gripe is drones allow people to be in two places at the same time. For instance with the prevalence of mobile phones now, it is basically th equivalent of having static phone boxes all over the sidewalk, your dodging all these mobile phone statues who are stationary or not looking where they are going. With the drone, you have somebody in one place, and then they are also above your head staring at you anonymously.

Yeah . . . they have their fun side. Usually, I state the law shouldn't be formulated around the mischievous (IE, you have to deal with the mischief, rather than outright ban). My drone defence isn't too sophisticated and I might change my mind.

I love water ballons by the way, and if they drop marshmallows then I will love drones.

The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

I think I need some of what ever it is youre smoking.

There are already strict guidelines on how drones can be flown outside for hobby puposes, the British Model Flying Association is trying to encourage people to adhere too these guidelines.The problem is that people are buying drones and not aware of flying restrictions because the guidelines are not easily found and theres been so many changes that no one really is clear on what is and isnt allowed.Then theres the idiots who choose to do what they want regardless of any guidelines and common sense just as theres idiots on the roads who do so.

If drone flyers use drones for commercial purposes ie photography or property survey inspections then they are required to attend and pass a CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) course to gain a certificate for Permission for Aerial Work.The courses are comprehensive and expensive but theyre the only way you can legally fly drones for any commercial pupose.

The UK government has very recently said it intends bringing out a certification scheme in 2018 requiring all flyers of the drones above 250grams -which is tiny - to be registered and to have completed and passed a regulatory awareness course and flying competency.The details are under consultation at present.

I think its more motivated by government paranoia about drones and their potential use for terrorism and the potential they have for gaining access to restricted areas and invasions of privacy (theirs not ours).Theyll also use it no doubt to screw more money off people for exams and issuing permits and have het more data on people but wont really have any constructive effect...just a load of expensive bureaucracy....quelle surprise.

Governments are always really keen on new technology and its capabilities,they have been with drones,they enjoy using them to kill lots of people,but theyre never keen on citizens having access to the same technology even when the majority just want to have fun wjth them. Drones and the internet are threats to them and theyll do all they can to control their use,highly regulate them or stop completely.

Theres no doubt drone users need to be made more responsible for how they fly them and where and that if they disobey the rules they can expect consequences.
    It might help a lot more if manufacturers,retailers and the government had a more co-ordinated approach and made sure anyone who buys a drone is fully aware from the start of the safety implications and flying restrictions...but government doesnt do joined up thinking,its only familiar with sticks to beat people with when they dont like something.....which is why organisations like FlyResponsibly are trying to get drone users to do just that...fly responsibly or risk losing the freedom to fly at all.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 09-08--2017 at 06:12 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Well this is one only bird getting sucked into an engine

Looks like a crow.

They need to implement mandatory prison sentences on anyone flying near aircraft and flying unlicensed drones. The risk is just too great.

I'd give them something to look at if there were drones everywhere

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    I think I need some of what ever it is youre smoking.
    Sure, have some.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise they were so on top of it (but suspected, that's why I said I might change my mind). I suppose where drones are used badly, then they need to be charged for the badly bit, ie if they are a threat to planes, or whatever. You're right, people should also be allowed to have fun with our technological advances, and those who misuse them should bring everybody else down.

It's always the same, a few misusers bring everybody else down, and paint it black

The documentary I saw was drones being used to carry spice into prison. Then there was actual footage of prisoners (youths), who had no money so they would allow a dealer to punch them in the face - in return they would get some spice and then be totally zonked out twittering. This in turn also gives drug users a bad name . . . of course it's flip wrong to say drones are responsible (spice is snuck into prison by more ways than one). But watching the drone footage taking big supplies in . . . so as long as the authorities are allowed to do something about the drones . . . (I thought my brother said they couldn't do anything about a drone in the air . . .). Regardless, the drone isn't the problem as long as the misue can be addressed.

And when I say punch them in the face I mean really violent, bloody stuff.

The state of prisons in the UK is beyond out-of-hand critical. [For some reason, like the problem of modern slavery in the UK, certain things aren't popular subjects.]

you need Wandering Gypsy!
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.