THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Tablet wired internet access from wombled gear

Tablet wired internet access from wombled gear

Been meaning to write this for a little while but rarely use desktop pc any more and the tablet is a pain. I also had some pictures but seem to have lost them somewhere so took a couple this morning and obtained the first one via google...

Anyway, sometimes at work wifi is disabled meaning that you are stuck with no internet access meaning you either do some work
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or read a book...

Some time ago amongst some computer gear I wombled I found a USB device with no case. Looked like some sort of network adaptor although there was no RJ45 plug on it so I plugged it into an old machine.

Dmesg gave the following:

[ 4324.232044] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 14 using ehci-pci
    [ 4324.378775] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=13b1, idProduct=0018
    [ 4324.378782] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 4324.378786] usb 1-2: Product: USB 2.0 Network Adapter ver.2
    [ 4324.378789] usb 1-2: Manufacturer:
    [ 4324.378792] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 00FFFF
    [ 4325.175943] asix 1-2:1.0 eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:02.1-2, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet, 00:18:f8:88:e8:92
    [ 4325.240529] asix 1-2:1.0 eth1: link down
    [ 4325.243510] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
    [ 4325.245122] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

This confirmed that it was at least still alive and worth further investigation.

Lsusb then gave this entry amongst the list of devices:

Bus 001 Device 014: ID 13b1:0018 Linksys USB200M 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

A googling revealed this:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It seems that the RJ45 simply sits on the terminals shown at the bottom and is held by the cheap crappy plastic clip, a pretty shit method of doing it but probably done to make it smaller. Anyway, best way round it I thought was to cut the end off an old patch lead and solder the cables directly to the board. This done I plugged the device into a short wombled USB extension, then encased the whole thing in two 20mm plastic conduit fittings, and siliconed the ends up.

Ending up with a device as shown below - plugging this into my computer again resulted in it obtaining an IP address and a working internet connection.

As my tablet supports USB OTG I tried plugging it into it, using terminal again the device was listed. Turning off the wifi, and checking using AIDA64 its listed and I have a network address.

Tested with browser ok, tested with Ookla speedtest and definately not on the wifi network with a 64Mbps download speed!

All wombled parts, total cost zero.

This may come in useful for anyone wanting wired access to either a router in repeater mode, or a wired network in the absense of wifi, should work with any android phone or tablet that supports USB OTG.

Or it may not....
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, tworedsquirrels

Cool and all for free.BTW You can get usb to RJ45 Lan network adapters from about 2 and cables with RJ45 LAN to RJ11 phone (or standard bt flat plug)
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

But i love that youve given new life to something that got binned and not ended up in landfill.

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    ..You can get usb to RJ45 Lan network adapters from about 2..
    It gave me something to do at work when i was on nights..

And 2 - scattercash!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I bet youre secretly building a starship in part of a warehouse at work .
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Rick69

Cool and all for free.BTW You can get usb to RJ45 Lan network adapters from about 2 and cables with RJ45 LAN to RJ11 phone (or standard bt flat plug)
    I wonder if the current fron LAN could also potentially charge the tablet, at least when switched off.

There is a powere source from LAN connections,its usually 48v at 0.5 amps or 1 amp and is usually used to power VOIP multi line business phones like cisco or Linksys or sNow supply or IP web cameras as like normal landline phones that use work a power supply from the exchange.The VOIP.SIP Phones either use the POE (power over ethernet ) or you have to use a mains 48v power adapter to power them
    .Voltage is too high for tablet but could be adapted to provide 5v im sure.Ive not seen any adapters/transformers about though.

Having said that ive just found a POE splitter 48v to 5v 2.4amp micro usb on amazon which is for raspberry pi but would power some tablets
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 15-07--2017 at 04:56 PM.

I bet youre secretly building a starship in part of a warehouse at work .
    No but at a previous job over a summer I did manage to strip, refurbish, respray, modify, manufacture new parts and then rebuild a full motorcycle in an old machinery store...
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT