Thread: Big Butterfly Count Anyone?

Heavenly Creature

Big Butterfly Count Anyone?

Anyone doing the Big Butterfly Count? Sort of Direct Action...
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Anyone doing the Big Butterfly Count? Sort of Direct Action...

I Be Thinking This Is A Great Fun Idea And Really Beautiful Too When I First Be Seeing It....As What Can Be Better Than Looking Out For Beautiful Butterflies

The Problem For Me Is That I Always Loose Count Or Ger Sooo Caught Up Watching Them And Their Prettyness That I Forget To Log It And Name It hahahaha
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

I have taught my grand daughter that they are really called ''flutterby's '' because they flutter by and are not made of butter. Seems she now takes great delight in correcting other children and a few adults
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

My niece told me she was rather confused at the age of 9. When she realised there is no such thing as heroes in flying teapots.

Depending where you are in the Country will determine the numbers and variety of butterfly species to be found. Years ago, I would get really excited whenever I found a locally rare butterfly.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 17-07--2017 at 09:10 AM.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature
    We did our first 15-minute observation today, at the allotments. Saw a pair of Gatekeeper butterflies on the rosemary (along with loads of bees of various sizes), the butterflies came and went several times, but you can only clock them as one sighting, of course. Then, right near the end of the 15 minutes, a larger Comma butterfly came along and sat in a small plum tree for a minute or two. Both types were easy to identify, and we took photos to check them out before officially logging them.

Hope to do a few more observations in different places over the next week or so

should have done this on my walk today, saw lots of large whites and marbled whites, and a few others (couple commas, red admirals, large heaths, a peacock). This was over a few hours though so no idea what the count would have been over a 15 minute period, will have to remember to do this next time I'm out for a ramble. Good thing about learning to ID butterflies is that there are only 59 native species (and some occasional migrants) to learn, rather than the 2,500 of species of native UK moths.
    do I dare disturb the universe?

I Soooo Luvzzz Butterflies
    ))
    Form From The Void & Mists

It says 'pick a spot' do you have to stay in the same place? I can't really identify butterflies consistently in the air (I'm getting better, although I kept thinking that various butterflies might be The Duke of Burgundy, probably wishful thinking particularly since they're no longer out as adults in July apparently) I usually have to chase them around like a madman and wait for them to land (which is actually quite fun as you have no idea where there going to take you)

I keep seeing loads of white ones

Heavenly Creature
    I think the advice is to either pick a spot and stay put, observing anything within range, or to gently walk along doing the same, for just 15 minutes at a time. You can do any number of observations, but you can only count any species of butterfly once during each 15-minute observation. (In case you see the same one or two many times
    ).

I'll have a go in the park tomorrow. I think most of the white ones are large whites, but its easy to get them mixed up with green veined whites. Marbled whites are a bit more easy to spot as they're black and white

Originally Posted by twistoflemon
    I'll have a go in the park tomorrow. I think most of the white ones are large whites, but its easy to get them mixed up with green veined whites. Marbled whites are a bit more easy to spot as they're black and white
    Small Whites are more easily confused with Green-veined whites as they are similar size; Large Whites are usually quite a bit larger + with more black on the wing tips than Small Whites.

I was leading an insect/wildlife walk on Saturday but cloudy + often drizzly so wasn't worth doing a count then, but did see a few Meadow Browns + Gatekeepers + a small colony of Small Skippers. I did 2 counts on Sunday- one in the garden + one on my local patch.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Turning On
    I will give this ago in the garden tomorrow for 15 mins. And then I'll let the kids have a go once I've had my fun 😁 I love love butterflies.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith