Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cats and dogs

Heavenly Creature

cats and dogs

for those on the road with a pet, how do they cope with the heat?
    the reason i ask is i often have to take my dog to work with me, often she is in the van most of the day.
    i take her out on my breaks but cant leave her tied up unattended.
    today the highest recorded temperature in the van was over 41 degrees.
    where im working there is no option to park in shade as there isnt any.
    so how do ppl living in vehicles protect there pets from the heat on roasting hot days like today??

if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by pyke13 View Post
    for those on the road with a pet, how do they cope with the heat?
    the reason i ask is i often have to take my dog to work with me, often she is in the van most of the day.
    i take her out on my breaks but cant leave her tied up unattended.
    today the highest recorded temperature in the van was over 41 degrees.
    where im working there is no option to park in shade as there isnt any.
    so how do ppl living in vehicles protect there pets from the heat on roasting hot days like today??

if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it
    Simple answer to your question is DON'T LEAVE AN ANIMAL IN A VEHICLE ALL DAY WHEN IT IS HOT.

Being on the road with a dog is one thing, going to work and leaving your dog in a van in the heat is an entirely different matter.

I've travelled extensively with my dog and we have experienced the Iberian heat many times.
    Fans, air-con, shade, water can all be used to keep the temp down, but unless you can maintain a comfortable temperature inside the vehicle, then don't expect the dog to cope and certainly don't just hope that he's OK, he will be OK - until he isn't.
    I never leave mine in a vehicle for long periods unattended when it's hot.
    In the cooler months, he is perfectly content if I go out for an hour or two, he lives in my van with me so he knows he's at home and that I'll be back.

The dog needs you for 100% of everything - treat him/her like a younger brother/sister and you won't go wrong.

Love & Light, james

Heavenly Creature
    i know i cant leave my dog in the van on hot days, thats the point of asking for advice on what to do.
    at the moment i cant leave the dog in the house as she barks constantly, which is in breach of her asbo!!
    once i get a live in van the dog will be with me 24/7 but i will still need to work and it may be hot.
    i know she will be ok until she isnt but i would class finishing work to find her dead in the van a fail at van life and dog ownership.
    normally thru the summer months the dog is tied to the van and out in the fresh air where she can escape the sun and has plenty of water. my job has changed and this is no longer possible

To even consider leaving a dog in a hot van all day beggars belief, you can't seriously think that it is a viable option? Sounds like all things considered, the best thing to do would be to rehome her.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Heavenly Creature
    i know i cant leave my dog in the van on hot days, thats the point of asking for advice on what to do.
    at the moment i cant leave the dog in the house as she barks constantly, which is in breach of her asbo!!
    once i get a live in van the dog will be with me 24/7 but i will still need to work and it may be hot.
    i know she will be ok until she isnt but i would class finishing work to find her dead in the van a fail at van life and dog ownership.
    normally thru the summer months the dog is tied to the van and out in the fresh air where she can escape the sun and has plenty of water. my job has changed and this is no longer possible
    Your dog has an ASBO ? brilliant, I love your dog... Did he bite someone in uniform ?

seriously, you're gonna have to pay somebody to look after her / him for a few months.

james

james
    Last edited by hygge; 17-07--2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: fresh sativa

Heavenly Creature
    A dog sitter is a good option. Dogs can only sweat through their tongue and paws, and regulate their body temperature through those small areas. That's why they overheat so quick.

If you leave the dog in the van and youre reported youll lose custody of the dog and right to own one-and rightly so- unless it dies of heat exhaustion then youre in bigger shit.
    My dog -before she passed awqy last year -and my cat lived/live with me in my trailer.They have always come first and ive had to buy fans and do all manner of things to ensure theyre ok a d not go and leave them for more than 20 mins.

I know you have to work but if you care about the dog you either have to change your work to something more adaptable to owning a dog,rehome the dog or accept youre going to have to fund a dog sitter.Theres plenty about who will look after your dog for you while youre at work.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 17-07--2017 at 07:07 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    AGAIN, I KNOW NOT TO LEAVE THE DOG IN A ROASTING VAN ALL DAY!!!!!&nbsp;<br>leaving the dog to cook was never an option or something i was considering doing.&nbsp;<br>a dog sitter is a good idea, anyone know one that does it for less than 15 an hour?<br>at that price its going to cost me more than i earn.&nbsp;<br>giving up the dog is not an option!! dogs are for life and all that<br>guess when the time comes it will just have to be a change of jobs<br><br>as for the asbo, its for noise. she barks constantly if left in the house alone. even if its only for a short while.&nbsp;<br>cheers for the advice&nbsp;<br><br>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    To even consider leaving a dog in a hot van all day beggars belief, you can't seriously think that it is a viable option? Sounds like all things considered, the best thing to do would be to rehome her.
    read the post directly above yours

Have a chat with Fried onion...he's had the same issues with his dog and full time work while living in a van. He was researching it so might be able to help you out..
    The following users think this post is groovy: pyke13

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by emmadilemma View Post
    Have a chat with Fried onion...he's had the same issues with his dog and full time work while living in a van. He was researching it so might be able to help you out..
    will do, cheers for that

read the post directly above yours
    I did.

..i know she will be ok until she isnt but i would class finishing work to find her dead in the van a fail at van life and dog ownership.
    In the post above mine. Sorry, but you asked for opinions and that's mine.

Edit : Have you considered training to break her of the barking habit? Sounds like that might be a way forward...

Have a look.on gumtree for dog sitters....or ask around where you work/put an ad in a local shop or in a vet surgery..'Professional' dog sitters charge quite a bit but youll find a few dog lovers/dog walkers about who will help.out for less.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    I did.

In the post above mine. Sorry, but you asked for opinions and that's mine.

Edit : Have you considered training to break her of the barking habit? Sounds like that might be a way forward...
    the "i know she will be fine until she isnt" is in reply to a previous post.
    yes in the last five years i have tried to train her not to bark, ive even had dog trainers try

Do you have access to mains power at work? Is an aircon unit an option?

Do you know why she barks - boredom, seperation anxiety, other dogs, other..

Heavenly Creature
    no dont have power at work. running an extension cable from the site agents office wouldnt go down well

the barking seems to be at noises, thats what triggers it. when ive left her at home ive came home to find she has barked herself course and a Que of neighbours to tell me about it. weird bit is she doesnt bark in the footwell of the van, unless we go thru a puddle and water splashes onto the floor beneath her.

do walkers start at 12 a hour here and upwards for the cash in hand ones and 15 for the thru the books type

During the course of building my van i insulated and boarded it and put in a crawl through from the back to the cab. Noticed one sunny day that the front was like a greenhouse and the back was equally hot (high 30s - too hot for us and the dog.)
    I fitted a piece of perspex for a window, and some curtains in front of that in the cab. This dropped the temperature in the back to low 20s on an equally hot day.

Something similar, creating a seperate area in the back may help. I also made a hole in the floor and fitted a fan in the roof to suck hot air out and keep the air moving.

Wouldnt any of the neighbours who complain look after her for a few quid a day, or what about someone near you who is retired? If they are at home all day, a tenner a day is 50 cash in hand to top up their pension for doing basically nothing...
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    15 per hour?? OMG!!
    Have you thought of giving up your job for dog sitting?
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    mia is a collie and needs between 2 and 3 hours exercise a day, if shes coming to work with me i have her out for an hour before hand. then take her out as soon as i finish as well as giving her a walk on my breaks, or throwing a ball if theres available space.
    one of the neighbours who complains about her tried to poison her, 5 sleeping pills wrapped in ham slices put thru the letterbox.

the van will be well insulated(50mm kingspan minimin 100mm on roof) and i was thinking of getting the window insulation things them silver foil ones. i also thought of using computer fans top and bottom to pull in fresh air and push out the hot. i should be able to leave the windows half open as she wont let anyone she doesnt know into the van. if its a roller door luton i can wedge it open with a bit of wood and chain it so it cant be opened further to allow plenty of air in

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    15 per hour?? OMG!!
    Have you thought of giving up your job for dog sitting?
    every 2nd day i think about it. aberdeen is an expensive place to live. 500+ a month for a 1 bed flat.

I used to dog walk in an affluent area, my boss was charging 50 an hour although she did have new fully caged out air conditioned vans, proper insurance, guarantees of only 4 dogs per walk per handler and we all got canine first aid training.

Personally I think if you have to leave the dog while you work and you're living in a van you have to arrange somewhere for the dog to be over the summer, it will be uncomfortable unless you can have a genny running an aircon unit and even then i'd be reluctant in case of failure.

owning a dog comes with responsibilities, change of jobs sounds like a better option than leaving it in the van over summer, be careful of cheap dopg sitters as well, you SHOULD have council permission, insurance and be paying tax on earnings, if its just someone doing it on the sly you have no idea what other dogs yours will be dumped with or how well treated they are.

Dogs are often misunderstood and are not always getting on as well together as people assume they are, if you know anything about dog behvaiour and watch some of them in a doggy park play area you'll see a lot of them are very stressed.

I used to dog walk in an affluent area, my boss was charging 50 an hour although she did have new fully caged out air conditioned vans, proper insurance, guarantees of only 4 dogs per walk per handler and we all got canine first aid training.

Personally I think if you have to leave the dog while you work and you're living in a van you have to arrange somewhere for the dog to be over the summer, it will be uncomfortable unless you can have a genny running an aircon unit and even then i'd be reluctant in case of failure.

owning a dog comes with responsibilities, change of jobs sounds like a better option than leaving it in the van over summer, be careful of cheap dopg sitters as well, you SHOULD have council permission, insurance and be paying tax on earnings, if its just someone doing it on the sly you have no idea what other dogs yours will be dumped with or how well treated they are.

Dogs are often misunderstood and are not always getting on as well together as people assume they are, if you know anything about dog behvaiour and watch some of them in a doggy park play area you'll see a lot of them are very stressed.

Windows open enough so she can't escape and a low powered fan or two blowing or inducting air over a large container of heavily iced water (both for drinking and rudimentary cold air blowing) might help...but I can see lots of potential issues with this suggestion.

Heavenly Creature
    turned up later this morning, got told to park in the overflow carpark, its round the corner behind the trees. parked the van up all day and when i got in at night it was cool. thermometer say'd 15 degrees was the highest temp of the day. outside its been 22 here today.
    i cant see there being a problem with me parking in it everyday so puppy should be ok. theres plenty of space for me to have her out in my break times and give her a good run about.
    if i have her out at 6am for 30 mins, out at 9.30 for 20 mins, out at 12.30 for 30 mins and out again at 4 for a while before moving to a park up she will be fine, the longest she will be left alone is 3 hours which is far less than many dogs are left in a house alone during the day.
    i will of course make sure she has plenty water and ventilation.
    on a side note, it also turns out i may be able to get as much 100mm kingspan as i want for free
    The following users think this post is groovy: popuptoaster

Heavenly Creature
    So a good day all round then! Sounds good for the parking.
    The following users think this post is groovy: pyke13