THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wet wipes

Wet wipes

What works?

Ive tried a few but by no means have I done extensive research.

Scent and wetness and effectiveness wise what do you favour?

I like the scent and wetness of the home bargains super size 79p wipes and their 4 pack of antibacterial pocket wipes.

I like the clean feel and wetness of equip wipes but don't like the scent.

Johnson top to toe baby washcloths are a little dry but have superior texture and a subtle citrus scent that I like.

Any other wetwipe geeks out there?

The Aldi sensitive ones are pretty good, but I can't remember the price. Decent amount of 'wet' and generously sized wipe.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

I'm not keen. Just about all of them have got some nasties in them and whatever you put on your skin goes in. That said, when water is scarce I do use them and try to seek out the sensitive/sans paraben/alcohol ones - but I don't use them on my most precious parts.

My favourites are Water Wipes but they're expensive. Superdrug is the cheapest place to buy them but they're still 2 squids.

https://www.superdrug.com/b/WaterWip...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've got a bit lazy with the wipes and your post has got me wondering - would it really be so inconvenient/unhygienic to go back to using a few cotton flannels and a bit of water?

Transcending
    Does anyone make bio-degradeable wipes ? I've been under the impression that the damned things just hang around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface View Post
    Does anyone make bio-degradeable wipes ? I've been under the impression that the damned things just hang around forever.
    I think your right made out of plastic and banned by most water co's from being flushed down the loo as they just do not dissolve and block the sewers up

Heavenly Creature
    I'm happy enough with Wilkinson's scented wipes. I prefer scent. If they are designed for babies, they won't be too harsh for even the most delicate bit of adults.
    For me they are only really for when out and about away from a supermarket baby room

They're not all environmentally friendly https://www.treehugger.com/health/wh...wet-wipes.html

Not so convenient after all, wet wipes are terrible for the environment, city sewers, and human health. Avoid at all costs!
    Wet wipes have been labeled “the biggest villain of 2015” by The Guardian. These disposable wipes, which are essentially an instant soapy washcloth that doesn’t require rinsing, promises to disinfect, and gets tossed after use, have become extremely popular – too popular, in fact.
    Parents carry baby wipes in their diaper bags and use them for diaper changes and emergency cleanups. Many adults stock so-called ‘flushable’ wipes in their bathrooms for better cleaning than what they get with ordinary toilet paper. Hospital staff and classroom teachers frequently wipe down surfaces with antibacterial wipes. Travelers stock their bags with wipes for emergency hand cleaning.
    They’re everywhere, so it should come as no surprise that the wet wipes sector in the United Kingdom alone is worth a whopping £500 million a year, or roughly US $778 million. But there are several big problems behind this widespread obsession with wet wipes.
    First: The environmental havoc wreaked by their ubiquitous presence

Just because wet wipes are technically ‘disposable’ doesn’t mean they magically disintegrate; instead, they are simply shuffled off somewhere else, out of sight, where they proceed to wreak environmental havoc.
    Most contain plastic fibers that are not biodegradable. When the wipes make their way into the ocean, they get ingested by sea creatures, such as turtles, who mistake them for jellyfish and eventually die. (The same thing happens with plastic bags.)
    “When marine wildlife eats that plastic, which they quite often do, it just stays in the stomach of the animal and quite often they just die of starvation,” says Charlotte Coombs of the Marine Conservation Society (MCS).
    The wipes wash up on beaches all around the world. A 2014 estimate from the MCS says there are approximately 35 wipes per kilometer of beach in Britain – a 50% increase from 2013.
    Second: The disgusting results of flushing wipes down the toilet

Many users erroneously choose to flush wipes down the toilet, clogging and causing it to overflow. The Guardian reports that New York City has spent $18 million on “wipe-related equipment problems” in the past five years, and residents of Kent, a county in the UK, were dumping an estimated 2,000 tons of wet wipes into sewers.
    When wipes clog city sewers, overflow occurs, or, at the very least, a serious blockage made from accumulating fat. “In 2013 a lump of congealed fat the size of a bus was found in sewers beneath London.” Yuck. So much for convenience.
    Third: The nasty toxic chemicals contained in the wipes are best avoided

Several years ago, Reuters reported that wipes cause rashes in uncomfortable places. A Mayo Clinic report cited the experience of one man, a postman, who “had a rash around his anus so painful that he couldn’t walk for months… It wasn’t until he stopped using Kimberly-Clark’s Cottonelle moist wipes, some of which contain MCI [methylchloroisothiazolinone, a chemical of concern], that the problem cleared up.”
    Baby wipes contain preservatives and fragrances that should not come into contact with human skin, particularly that of infants and small children. (See the Environmental Working Group's report on the hidden hazards of antibacterial wipes.)
    Fourth: The spread of bacteria

When hospital staff use the same wipe to clean multiple surfaces, they succeed only in spreading the bacteria further, rather than eliminating it. Researchers from Cardiff University found that wet wipes have great variability when it comes to killing bacteria, and was more frequently spread across all consecutive surfaces. Sounds like good old soap and water would be a much better alternative.
    Fortunately, the solution for personal wipes is simple.

Ditch the disposables. Make your own wet wipes from pieces of flannel cloth or baby washcloths. Mix up an easy cleansing liquid: 4 cups boiled and cooled water, 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap, and a few drops essential oil, if desired. Store in a spritz bottle in the bathroom for convenient use.
    Alternatively, stack the cloths in a baby wipe warmer, douse in the above liquid, and keep close to the toilet or change table.
    Or, just use a bar of soap and a regular washcloth.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, harphilly, oldkeith

Defo no more of those little nasties then !!!! Toby n Suzy Trux.

Heavenly Creature
    Needs must! It's not always possible to have proper wash. I never flush wipes. Usually they get burned in the rubbish. The biggest damage seems to be over the wrong method of disposal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

Those Dettol ones are big with plenty of moisture ,you have to pay a bit more for them unless there on special offer

When i was rich and had the kids little i used to use naty wipes from waitrose..but they re 2.75!!!so get whats on offer,at the mo super drugs own lovely smell..my fave for texture are huggies,more papery xx

I buy them in bulk for our kid gal. Pampers sensitive. 6 x packs for £5 at the local (Well) chemist. Never put one down the toilet, that's just asking for a plumber bill.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    Defo no more of those little nasties then !!!! Toby n Suzy Trux.
    Aye, no more for me either after reading that lot. I've just ordered a pack of six bamboo face cloths for the same price as four packs of wipes so they'll soon pay for themselves and with six I'll always be able to have a clean one.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Wulfie

I used to buy whatever store i was in own brand unscented.I cant stand the scented ones.I only use them for cleaning up mess on plates or surfaces or me if ive got greasy working on my van.Theyr not very nice i discovered theyre virtually indestructible and burning them they give off noxious smoke so ive changed last year to some eco bio friendly organic wipes for essential jobs ie Earth Friendly Baby or whatever is on offer on Amazon but theyre massively expensive compared to normal ones and so im back to bowl and water more often which is not always practical but needs must.The organic are made from natural fibre and biodegradeable and usually have aloe instead of chemical concoctions.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP View Post
    Aye, no more for me either after reading that lot. I've just ordered a pack of six bamboo face cloths for the same price as four packs of wipes so they'll soon pay for themselves and with six I'll always be able to have a clean one.
    Lynsey made a dozen small reusable wipes for our kids bum when she was first born. They get washed along with the reusable nappies. Just recently Lyndsey has made a dozen reusable baby face and hand wipes out of some soft double skinned material. These we just wet and wipe. The reusable nappy wipes are constantly wet due to being kept in a container with water and some natural scented stuff. I'm shocked to think shop bought. 'Baby' wipes should be harmful to humans at all. We have some bamboo reusable nappies and it's a really interesting material.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Wulfie

I just use soap and wáter.
    None of that scented shite either. Plain handmade proper soap.
    Maybe its just me but if I`m in a no access to wáter situe I don´t wash. but living where I do you don´t have to wait long for it to piss down and there is also an abundance of stream wáter wherever i go.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, NomadicRT, oldkeith, wandering gypsy

Make your own. You can control what goes in or doesn't go in then:

https://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/
    Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

Quote Originally Posted by etherea View Post
    I just use soap and wáter.
    None of that scented shite either. Plain handmade proper soap.
    Maybe its just me but if I`m in a no access to wáter situe I don´t wash. but living where I do you don´t have to wait long for it to piss down and there is also an abundance of stream wáter wherever i go.
    A woman after my own heart.

We get great big tubs of them at work, they supply them for all the lorry drivers, they are anti bacterial but will have to look and see what they are called.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, zendaze

Heavenly Creature
    I am truly amazed that anyone on here uses them regularly at all. We keep a small pack in the vehicle for emergency only use, and haven't yet used them in five years! (I keep a rag or two in the boot along with the emergency tools, so don't even use them for dirty hands when changing a tyre, etc).

As pointed out by wulfie the wipe is a big environmental problem.

Mrs P and AW demonstrate the case for diy 'washable wipes'....put them in a box and moisten with choice oils and/or soaps etc.....launder them every two to three days and they won't become stagnant.

If doing laundry once every week or three in a single mixed wash then diy, environmentally friendly wipes are not an option.....they would become stagnant.

I've not showered for a few months....and am maintaining a low level of stink by using wipes all over and a tap for head and hands when available.

Asda have some large bedtime wipes at 70p for 15 that are similar to Johnsons top to toe washcloths but are lavender scented (boo hoo ).
    Last edited by zendaze; 22-07--2017 at 02:13 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Quote Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
    We get great big tubs of them at work, they supply them for all the lorry drivers, they are anti bacterial but will have to look and see what they are called.
    Same here,my past employment we had big tubs of them that were sterile,you just pulled out what you needed and tore off.They were excellent and what got me into using baby wipes...until i discovered the envirinmental issues with them.I had also naively thought being tested and safe for babies theyd be ok ie 'safe' but theyre as bad as the modern chemical personal products that i never use.
    They are uber convenient though to me and now ive found some that are biodegadeable and organic im happier using those but not so often.

Having been very ill once from ingesting contaminated water im very reluctant to rely on water i find around me...so at times when ive been low on water Id rather conserve for drinking ive done the same as zendaze and used them as a handy way of staying less manky until.i can find proper facilities.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 22-07--2017 at 01:49 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

I realise they are not perfect but neither is pouring used soapy water out onto the ground or down a drain, as far as I'm concerned you can limit the damage you do to the environment in many way but you still want to live a bit.

Not seeing anyone on here moaning about diesel pollution or any of the other issues associated with road transport. :P
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, zendaze

Quote Originally Posted by stupot View Post
    Make your own. You can control what goes in or doesn't go in then:

https://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/
    Brilliant. Never knew you could do that. Thanks!