THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wet wipes

Quote Originally Posted by oldkeith View Post
    I am truly amazed that anyone on here uses them regularly at all. We keep a small pack in the vehicle for emergency only use, and haven't yet used them in five years! (I keep a rag or two in the boot along with the emergency tools, so don't even use them for dirty hands when changing a tyre, etc).
    Baby wipes were around when my first child was born, 30 years ago. I understood that's why they produced them. I've used the odd one over the years, to wipe hands or mouth when they have been offered and on the occasional clean up session after sex in the vehicle/bed, again offered.

What suprised me most, was In learning that a girlfriends hardass brother, would only ever use wet wipes to wipe after having a crap in any toilet environment. The whole family had been using wetwipes (alongside toilet roll I assume, as it was fixed to their bog wall) for most, if not all of his hardasses life. The brother had grown up to needing something softer than toilet tissue to wipe his arse.
    If he has actually used these daily, not just at home, but at school, at work, even when camping or out at the pub. How many more people are flushing them down the bog. What kind of a society have we Grown into, that can't 'live without' such modern embellishments?

We live in a Country of virtually free (safe) water. If I have to go a few hours or a day (unwashed) before reaching a good water supply. (Hot water on tap, is a Luxury) It's no hardship. Very often I wake up in my tin trailer, and I don't wash. My first mission is to make a drink of tea. I also put hot water from the kettle into my hot water bottle, before strapping the hot water bottle to my back, and then go about my chores or work (un-washed) if I do wash it's a handful or two of cold water on the face and hands or, and Only on returning for a second cup of tea and a hot water bottle recharge, will I utilise the 'cooled' hot water from the water bottle to rinse/wash my face and hands, instead if wasting the water.

There are marketing companies trying their very hardest to design for manufacturing and selling things which 'they' hope you 'think' you need. You don't need a strong absorbent (good quality, kitchen roll) and a 2.5 litre bottle of warm-ish (3day old) water to give yourself a strip down cock wash! 'No' according to the marketing crew, you need a pre moistened, fancy packaged pack of 'disposable' handwipes at over a quid a packet.
    Every product has a market and every market has an excuse. I think 'cock washing' or the removal of semen from your partners belly, to save on bed linen washing, is the only real reason adults without babies, should possess wet wipes (unless they come in a first aid kit.

what the foook would the Victirians think of us? Or course, I no longer have a 'office job' nor do I need to impress a likely soul mate. But in a day where hair gel, labled clothes and an array of scented body sprays and body soaps, make a person stand out or fit in! it's only right someone tries to cut out the middleman 'water'
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: MrsP, pyke13

Theres loads of things in life we dont need or think.we 'must have' we dont need the internet or computers or smartphones,we dont need electric golf buggies,escalators,in car entertainment,food prepared and wrapped in.pretty packages... or all the countless other things that make us lazy or mindless but if theres things about cheap enough for our budget that make some aspects of life much simpler then people are going to use them.No you dont need to wash first thing in the morning or even at all,especially if you live on your own and no one.is going to get close enough to complain about your manky smell.I dont a lot of the time especially in winter or just throw some water in a bowl and have a quick splash if i feel like or im going out.
    On the other hand modern convenience inventions have made it easier to stay clean for much longer without sourcing water to do so or having to store it.Eradicated the need to shit in a carrier bag and hang it in a tree or dig a hole in a field etc etc. We only have piped sewers because rich people got.pissed off with walking in shit and because of the disease spread from open sewers.Now theyre getting clogged with wipes that are then ending up in the sea or on landfill.
    The problem isnt how people choose to live or what they use or how wussy they are for not living a basic caveman existence its what they do with product when its finished with and manufacturers not designing a biodegradeable product in the first place.
    In the 'good old days' if you were well off your ma had a flannel and wiped your face and your arse -hopefully in that order- or you had a wash.in cold water outside...If you were lucky enough to have a car in the family,everything got wiped with the oily rag that lived in the boot,including your hands and face Shitty baby nappies and screech marked cum stained underwear got boiled in a big saucepan before being washed in the sink,same with snotrags (handkerchiefs if you were posh) wiped your arse on old newspaper if you were lucky...thats how i remember life as a youngster but things change,for better or worse...mostly im glad many things have changed from all that past way of doing stuff.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 22-07--2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: MrsP

NT your right, things have changed mainly for the better. But marketing experts are trying as we speak to convince big business that we now need 'special' arse wipes. Just for the purpose of cleaning up after a number 2.

If its true those wetwipes in use today and having been disposed of down the toilet, may one day be floating about in the ocean and mistaken for jellyfish, whilst being consumed by turtles, then we need to rethink the use and availability of such items.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I'm in my phone and can't do a groovy but just wanted to say I really loved reading those last two posts on so many levels. Cock wash. Lolz.

Or just make sure making them out of non biodegradeable materials with toxic ingredients is outlawed....Whatever happened to IZAL

Im actually surprised any of our generation survived as we had our own toxic products around us.I can rember often sitting on tbe drive as a kid scrubbing asbestos brake linings in a bowl of carbon tetrachloride because my dad was too tight to buy new linings...most of us kids did. ...we'd be put in care these days lol

Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    NT your right, things have changed mainly for the better. But marketing experts are trying as we speak to convince big business that we now need 'special' arse wipes. Just for the purpose of cleaning up after a number 2.

If its true those wetwipes in use today and having been disposed of down the toilet, may one day be floating about in the ocean and mistaken for jellyfish, whilst being consumed by turtles, then we need to rethink the use and availability of such items.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 22-07--2017 at 08:52 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post

Im actually surprised any of our generation survived as we had our own toxic products around us.I can rember often sitting on tbe drive as a kid scrubbing asbestos brake linings in a bowl of carbon tetrachloride because my dad was too tight to buy new linings...most of us kids did. ...we'd be put in care these days lol
    I see that sentiment expressed quite a lot, people fail to realise the ones who CAN express it are the ones who did survive of course, no mention of the kids who died being knocked off a bike with no helmet on, or got lung diseases from coal dust and asbestos or died from measles or got heart disease from a diet of bread and dripping etc etc.

Easy enough to remember life being simpler when you managed to make it through all the hazards, plenty didn't.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, MrsP

Every generation has its own hazards...I wasnt saying it was easy or simple,just recollections..i suppose i could have mentioned all the kids born with no legs or arms because of thalidomide...two in my village.Or the kids who drowned in the sewerage ponds because they werent fenced off, or crushed on the farms in or by machinery because parents didnt think it was dangerous on a farm or kids died in thousands of pneumonia because of poor housing and dire air quality in urban areas...but i take your point...Ill try and remember to add in a few negatives next time just for balance

Quote Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
    I see that sentiment expressed quite a lot, people fail to realise the ones who CAN express it are the ones who did survive of course, no mention of the kids who died being knocked off a bike with no helmet on, or got lung diseases from coal dust and asbestos or died from measles or got heart disease from a diet of bread and dripping etc etc.

Easy enough to remember life being simpler when you managed to make it through all the hazards, plenty didn't.

Englishers have scoffed at bidets for decades so now they are not installed here.

Many a country offers a separate WC bin for any synthetic or paper waste utilised during personal hygiene routines....those countries usually have a bidet or bucket of water or arse cleaning water spout integrated into the toilet.

Bitch away! But does anyone have a solution?

I imagine most people with babies do frequent laundry and aside from the environmental issue could save a lot of money by going with washable and reusable wipes...

I have posted in 'nomadic living' and whilst I fail to see a solution to the problems of having clean wipes or flannels that won't stagnate or create excessive damp does not mean that a solution does not exist.....heating water creates unacceptable moisture and damp (within a van) that I'd rather apportion to hot meals.

Unfortunately for me I am compelled to interact with the job world and whilst I sometimes allow myself to stink a bit more when off duty I don't find it ok when at a job since people are forced to be in close proximity to me.

I can wash in a cup of water using just my hands, preferably remnants of the kettle. Just the other week I saw a packet if extra large body wipes in the Marie curie Hospice charity shop. They took my eye because the packet was twice as long as the baby wipes I'm used to. I even considered buying them 'just for that very reason zendaze, camping, stuck with no water and no other means of getting clean. They wanted 1.50 a pack and they only had the two packets. Unfortunately, they would not take payment if less than 5 on the card, so I had to leave them on the shelf. It's the first time I had come accross such large wipes intended for the purpose of freshening up the body.
    Im sure you could rig up a black plastic plumbing (drain pipe) fixed to your van roof,. Solar heated. Then a hose or Tap to decant enough water for a daily wash and only need to refill once a week.

goole DIY. campervan solar roof water storage.

Or just buy the biodegradable ones.

Which ones are biodegradable?

Flushable arse wipes are relativatey bio degradable as far as I understand it so far. The degradation takes far longer than tissue.

Ditto wetwipes going to landfill have biodegradable content as well as synthetics that will not biodegrade.

Biodegradable soaps can take two years to disperse.....to the best of my knowledge.

Those 'biodegradable wipes' are relatively and not absolutely so.

Solar tubes aren't likely to meet all season requirements in the UK.

Since a shower costs 2.50 in public pools and is long I think I'll stick with my current misdemeanors and add the sins to my list.

I've no idea, but then I'm not getting het up about bum wipes.
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, NomadicRT

I thought I was firing loose and cool and acknowledging my imperfections.

Bum wipes are great except that they shoot like bullets when emptying a chemical toilet and cause splashback.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Wulfie

Yes, I can see the splashback could be an issue..
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, MrsP

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_bee View Post
    Yes, I can see the splashback could be an issue..
    Tis so...specially when it splashes on your face as happens occasionally.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Wulfie

Yeh for what it's worth and as far as sins go. This really is one your mum shouldn't be telling you off about.

Like I said, I've been buying them in bulk for the baby when camping or if she is ill. Pampers sensitive with reasealable plastic lid,
    6 x pits for 5 from Well branches of Pharmacies/chemist. Now it's even cheaper to wipe away any guilt or kill a confused sea dwelling creature, if I dare flush them down the bog. If not,it's just smoke up the chimney.

Just an update.

I made these!

IMG_8897.jpg

I used water, A couple of teaspoons of aloe vera gel, a teaspoon of witch hazel, a teaspoon of castille soap and a few drops of geranium essential oil. I made a hole in the top of the container so they pull through.

I reckon, with the cost of half a kitchen roll that each batch has cost me 60p to make and there are LOADS of wipes in there guys.

They clean well and they smell divine - as does my little botty (now).
    Roughing it smoothly...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, wandering gypsy, zendaze

That looks like a good solution mrsP. I bought some Blitz kitchen towel and it really doesn't feel like weak paper towering. I might try your method out using one of these rolls. http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Display...FU8h0wodWgQKMw

Aye, next time I'm going to try it with one of a stronger variety. Mine work but you have to be careful when you're giving it a tug.

Oooer missus.
    Roughing it smoothly...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Quote Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
    I realise they are not perfect but neither is pouring used soapy water out onto the ground or down a drain, as far as I'm concerned you can limit the damage you do to the environment in many way but you still want to live a bit.

:P
    Real soap is absolutely fine, 100% environmentally friendly, dump as much as you want into the ground, even rivers, no problem as long as its not obviously excessive, detergent much less so, I google leisure centre and go for a swim plus shit/shave/shower with soap (of coarse) where ever I am out and about. No need for wet wipes, soap and a flannel is fine
    Last edited by Bernie; 11-08--2017 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsP View Post
    Just an update.

I made these!

IMG_8897.jpg

I used water, A couple of teaspoons of aloe vera gel, a teaspoon of witch hazel, a teaspoon of castille soap and a few drops of geranium essential oil. I made a hole in the top of the container so they pull through.

I reckon, with the cost of half a kitchen roll that each batch has cost me 60p to make and there are LOADS of wipes in there guys.

They clean well and they smell divine - as does my little botty (now).
    Cool idea never thought of making my own! WIll give it a go

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Mrs P - a legend as usual.

I, unfortunately use a lot of wet wipes in the van.

Here are my excuses. Currently converting van and have no sink. I struggle with getting water so I use them to wash hands, and partially clean dishes. I use them for mess and spills.

I use Aldi sensitive wipes - good price, thick and soft. Tesco's ate dismal in comparison. Dont like the flushable ones - too small and rip easily. Wipes upset my lady bits, so we on use them for an emergency freshen up. I'm lazy, and sometimed I just want to fresheb my pits.

That being said, I'll have to make some too. Finding summer hard for disposal, I usually burn them.

Perhaps I can use those blue J cloths. A new mission. Nice.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: MrsP

Quote Originally Posted by zendaze View Post
    Which ones are biodegradable?

Flushable arse wipes are relativatey bio degradable as far as I understand it so far. The degradation takes far longer than tissue.

Ditto wetwipes going to landfill have biodegradable content as well as synthetics that will not biodegrade.

Biodegradable soaps can take two years to disperse.....to the best of my knowledge.

Those 'biodegradable wipes' are relatively and not absolutely so.

Solar tubes aren't likely to meet all season requirements in the UK.

Since a shower costs 2.50 in public pools and is long I think I'll stick with my current misdemeanors and add the sins to my list.
    Buy a radar key for a few quid. Lock yourself in the disabled toilet once a week at un-busy time (night time) get yourself a private room to have a strip wash with lighting and free hot running water.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Bernie, Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    It's the same with the baby room in any large 24 hour supermarket, no radar key needed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Fire-Tree, MrsP