Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to the LPG Revoloution

Whatever happened to the LPG Revoloution

After 7 years finally got my LPG tank gassed up on the van but only after a tour of garages locally where I remembered there used to be LPG tanks.

Whatever happened to the green revolution of gas powered cars, must admit I took my eye off the ball there as I was on derv and the derv version from some firm Cheltenham way didn't appeal due to cost but I can remember a flurry of activity on lpg conversions and forecourts having gas tanks...........all gone!!
    Not all who wander are lost

I was thinking that myself the other day,I don't pass any garages that sell it.
    just a simple guy

I'm thinking I may have shot myself in the foot fitting a bellytank and there now being limited places to refill it. Cost 11.00 to fill and a lot cheaper / lighter than bottles but..........

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Dont know what happened in UK , but some places like India , LPG is compusory for taxis .

I read that morrissons had stopped selling lpg to motor homes, where will that leave us?

If your a heavy LPG user, it can pay to have a large tank at home. Fill at will.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    I've met a lot of folks with LPG conversions during my travels. Mostly on huge Amerikan RVs.
    The MPG certainly supports using LPG but the availability of filling stations is always the issue.
    If you are roaming about Europe or even just heading for a particular destination, you must first locate the LPG stations then build your route around these.
    My home is a diesel based sprinter running gear but I have an on-board pair of refillable tanks (GasLow) and just tracking down a filling station to keep these topped up can be a problem.
    While in Tarifa this past winter, I had to do a 2 hour round trip to fill up.

Granted, that you can always fall back to petrol, but the big Amerikan jobbies do around 8-10 mpg on petrol, that is enough to bring a tear to yer eye.

So while on the face of it an LPG conversion looks good on paper, the logistics of real life paint an entirely different story.

How much does the price compare to that of the 47 kilo bottles now? Guy i know had an lpg a few years ago and had an electric pump for filling off a 47 kilo bottle.

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Rick69
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    How much does the price compare to that of the 47 kilo bottles now? Guy i know had an lpg a few years ago and had an electric pump for filling off a 47 kilo bottle.
    I try not to re-fill the gaslow bottles in the UK as I hook up a 47kg to the van when I am in the UK.
    This site details LPG prices around the UK :

You'll need to convert the 47kg big bottles into litres to get a grasp of the relevant prices.

Looks like around 55p and up / litre at the pump in the UK, 0.55 to 0.81 euros in spain and around Portugal it's 0.58 to 1.20 euros / litre.

I just refill when I need to, the price paid is what it costs, the refill stations are not too common so I'm usually happy to just find one.

I was paying 65 for a 47kg but I am currently buying at 45 as we collectively buy 10x at a time to reduce the cost, directly from the calor centre in Pompey. This price is collect, not delivered.

james

At almost half the cost of petrol, I wouldn't be able to afford to run my v8 if it wasn't for LPG, but I'm lucky in that I live 5 mins from a LPG station, and they do a deal so I'd average aboot 5p off per litre.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by 4scoreand20
    At almost half the cost of petrol, I wouldn't be able to afford to run my v8 if it wasn't for LPG, but I'm lucky in that I live 5 mins from a LPG station, and they do a deal so I'd average aboot 5p off per litre.
    Ideal situation for you, in my case I've been bimbling around Spain and Portugal for a few years and the need to always have an LPG filling station always on my radar kinda takes away any spontaneity and limits the freedoms too much.

The evil filthy diesel is ubiquitous and this suits me better.

james

Theres not many lpg filling stations and i was told quite a few have ceased supplying because of safety issues over people attempting to fill bottles at the pumps which is illegal and increased insurance costs of having it on site.
    Might be worth sticking with it because Diesel is becoming unpopular in govt transport policy.
    It appears to be a lottery.as to where you are and how easy it is to refill.Where i am.theres plenty of filling stations with lpg but i know when ive been in Scotland its difficult to source which is one of the reasons i didnt convert to.use
    it since i sold my.last lpg land rover

I used countrywide farm stores then
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 02-08--2017 at 06:40 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

With the fuss about diesels and the pending scrappage in a few years time and electrickery cars being limited on use by charging / charge points I'm surprised LPGs just dropped off the radar as a cleaner alternative.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Maybe gas-electric is the future..
    just a simple guy

Or steam
    maybe horsedrawn is the way to go...
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

I suppose electric cars are part steam powered already isn't that how nuclear works?
    just a simple guy

Just as well ive perfected the warp drive ive been building n my awning

I've got a friend that is convinced that he can build a perpetual motion engine with magnets, says it's not a problem
    just a simple guy

I like his thinking ...everyone thought superconductor levitation was impossible

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    I've just bought an LPG powered car. The only station in Rugby apparently hasn't had any for months, but still claims to do it, so I've had to go to Coventry to fill up, but it was 51.7p per litre. That'll do nicely thank you! The car is a 2.2 Vectra estate, which would probably not do much over 30 to the gallon round town, now it does the equivalent of a little over 60, and the space inside is humungous!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Wulfie

Is this any good Julian?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

LPG is not the way to go! NGV or methane gas is better. Either way, there's a shortage of fuelling stations for both and there is nothing we can do about it.

Fracking made it totally unethical.

Heavenly Creature
    I thought LPG was a byproduct of petrol production?