THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Scrutinizing the scrutiny of organic food.

Scrutinizing the scrutiny of organic food.

On a number of "science" FB groups I have often noticed the same topic come up in a number of different groups. Fairly recently the value of organic food came up for question.

I pointed out that the food business has many armchair critics but these people have no idea what a complex and confusing business the food business is. I also pointed out that with breakfast cereals other than porridge, in terms of nutrients, you get poor value for money. Much of the time you are paying for packaged air. To top it all, Kellogg's Corn Flakes was the original "health food".
    Skeptoid that is about highlighting urban myths, bad science and consumer rip offs agreed with me.

Another group I was banned from. See here,

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It would seem there is an unwritten rule that Thou Shalt Not Take Shots At The Big End Of Town.
    Last edited by Duckman; 04-08--2017 at 12:49 AM.
    We all lead different lives.

Heavenly Creature
    Not just porridge; wholewheat bulgur is a cooked cereal that has quite good food value. (So long as you aren't bothered by gluten).
    And of course muesli, which we sometimes have with fruit juice for a treat.
    But generally, as you say, the more refined a breakfast cereal is, the less food value it has. Even worse than Corn Flakes are crap like Sugar Puffs; not only little food value but an excess of sugar too! But straight out of the packet and into the bowl with a swill of milk means convenience and quickness.
    Some kids around here never get breakfast; a few sweets or a bottle of energy drink on the way to school is their breakfast...
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by OldKeith
    Not just porridge; wholewheat bulgur is a cooked cereal that has quite good food value. (So long as you aren't bothered by gluten).
    Thanks for that. I will look into whole wheat bulger. I used to make Tabbouleh when I working in Sydney many years ago.

And of course muesli, which we sometimes have with fruit juice for a treat.
    I don't mean to sound puritanical but neither fruit juice nor muesli out of a packet can really be labeled healthy. Consider this . It takes you a while to go through five shop size apples, but it only takes 30 seconds to drink the juice of the same apples. Far too much fructose.Muesli out of a packet usually contains skimmed milk powder. Dried fruit will stick to your teeth and cause tooth decay. Dried fruit can be nutritionally useful if soaked.

But generally, as you say, the more refined a breakfast cereal is, the less food value it has. Even worse than Corn Flakes are crap like Sugar Puffs; not only little food value but an excess of sugar too! But straight out of the packet and into the bowl with a swill of milk means convenience and quickness.
    I remember as a kid having some Quakers brand cereal that were capsules of air. A total rip off.

Some kids around here never get breakfast; a few sweets or a bottle of energy drink on the way to school is their breakfast...
    Disgraceful in developed countries init.?
    We all lead different lives.

Heavenly Creature
    Originally posted by Duckman:
    "I don't mean to sound puritanical but neither fruit juice nor muesli out of a packet can really be labeled healthy. Consider this . It takes you a while to go through five shop size apples, but it only takes 30 seconds to drink the juice of the same apples. Far too much fructose.Muesli out of a packet usually contains skimmed milk powder. Dried fruit will stick to your teeth and cause tooth decay. Dried fruit can be nutritionally useful if soaked."

You are thinking fruit-rich packeted big-name muesli? We get the very basic stuff, cereal grains crushed and rolled with the odd few bits of dried fruit and nuts. Cheapest and best; not even any milk powder, so even a Vegan could touch it

No sugar, either. What the store calls 'basic muesli' , for po' folks, I guess. As for fructose, enough orange juice to wet the mixture and soak it once in a while don't bother me none. Quantity is about that of two hand-squeezed oranges. Now if I saw a habit of a pint of orange juice before breakfast every day, like one or two folks I know, that would get me a little worried....

As for the poor kids, it's not often a dire poverty thing, as folks might think, it's more just because the damn parents can't be bothered, or Mom has to be off to work and got up late again, so here's a quid for an energy drink or a few sweets on the way to school.
    No wonder some of these kids - I get told by teachers - fall asleep at their desks or lack concentration when the energy rush falls off badly after an hour or so. Some modern ADD - which is on the increase - may have its origins in lack of a breakfast, I guess.