THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Are There More Sensory Senses We Have Not Evolved To Use?

Are There More Sensory Senses We Have Not Evolved To Use?

Do You Believe That It Is Just Only The Usual Everyday Senses People Use Such As

Sight..Taste..Sound..Hearing ..Touch...Smell.....
    That We Just Only Use As They Are The Only Ones Etc?

OR....

Like Me Do You Believe There Be Sooo Many More ?
    And Its Just Because This World People Have Not Learned To Awaken Them And Use Them ..
    As They Be Squashed Into Teachings And Minds Closed Off To That There Is No More Except For What You Told And Teached To Believe.?

Do You Use More Than What Seems Only To Be Teached?

Do You Use Your Senses Everyday On A Deeper Level Than Most ...Are You Aware When You Use Your Senses Or Just Blindly Use Them Without Realising ?

Meaning Yes....
    You Look At Things "But Do You Truly See"
    You Hear Sounds...."But Do You Truly Listen"
    You Touch Things ..."But Do You Truly Feel It"
    You Taste Things ...."But Do You Truly Savour It"
    You Smell Things......"But Do You Truly Scent It"..

As Most Just Skate Across Quickly The Top Of Each Sense..
    Only Few Seek And Use And Know How To Yes Skate Across The Top ...But Also Go Deeper Within Each Sense Which Then Heightens Every Sense Instead Of Just Dulling Them .
    And By Heightening Our Senses We Then Unlock Hidden Closed Sensory Doors Which Lay Sleeping Deeper Within Us..Rarely Opened Or Used As Most Are Just Simply Skating Across The Top Quickly Of Every Sense They Use Without Thinking About That Sense They Use Without A Second Thought
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Form From The Void & Mists

I think people today are in to much of a rush to use their senses properly. How many people appreciate a nice sunrise, or a bird singing? People just don't notice whilst they are rushing round dealing with the problems they perceive in their lives like no one replied to their facebook message, or tescos have run out of their favourite coffee.

I like to spend time every day appreciating what i have and the things around me, in some ways I'm glad others don't as it cheers me up to know that by doing so I'm so much better off than all them.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, convoy, Danann, Lightbringer, LionL, NomadicRT, twistoflemon, Wulfie

I have noticed that a person's mood can be affected unnoticeable smells. This is the most primitive part of the brain.I found that wearing a wool jumper I get noticed by women far more than if I wear an acrylic one.
    We all lead different lives.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Duckman
    I have noticed that a person's mood can be affected unnoticeable smells. This is the most primitive part of the brain.I found that wearing a wool jumper I get noticed by women far more than if I wear an acrylic one.
    Yep There Is Defo Something About Seeing And Feeling A Man In A Thick Wooly Jumper hahaha

Even Though I Giggle It Is Defo True ...Well For Me It Is hahaha

Maybe Because I Am A Touchy Feely Being ..I Like To Touch And Feel All Things ... And Also Maybe I Think Of Snuggling Up And Cuddling Up And Feeling The Softness And Warmth As Well As And A Feeling Of Being Safe And Protected While All Snuggled Up Cosy ....So Maybe Thats It But I Love Bareskin Too hahaha
    So I Kinda Go From One Sense To The Opposite End Sense Then hahahaha.
    Last edited by Danann; 06-08--2017 at 12:47 AM.

Originally Posted by Rick69
    I think people today are in to much of a rush to use their senses properly. How many people appreciate a nice sunrise, or a bird singing? People just don't notice whilst they are rushing round dealing with the problems they perceive in their lives like no one replied to their facebook message, or tescos have run out of their favourite coffee.

I like to spend time every day appreciating what i have and the things around me, in some ways I'm glad others don't as it cheers me up to know that by doing so I'm so much better off than all them.....
    That Is Really True Rick69 And I Often Think The Same As Your Words Too

well there are more senses than sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch anyway (for example being able to tell where different parts of your body are without having to look at them is a sense).

I definitely agree that people don't pay attention to their senses enough, I find it odd that so few people who enjoy walking (as I do) never do it barefoot (as I do sometimes) as shoes cut off part of the sensory experience of walking and enjoying nature. I think your brain just naturally stops noticing certain sensations until you draw attention to them (like how you can always see your own nose but your brain forgets about it until someone points it out) and you start to take things for granted (like sunsets and birdsong).

I find a good way to stop this from happening is to try to imagine how you would feel or perceive something if this was the first time you'd ever seen a tree or a sunset or heard a bird singing etc. It's quite hard to completely disconnect yourself from the fact that you have seen millions of trees or thousands of sunsets before but just the process of doing it helps to look at things in different ways.

I also wonder if naturally being quite an anxious person helps with this sort of thing, as I tend to overthink things anyway and become hyperaware of different sensations.
    do I dare disturb the universe?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

My senses just tick over in their day today running but at times of they day they change slightly without reason but really fire up at the edge or what I take as the edge of touching the Nature when I know I'm alive be it at a point in deep embrace with a loved one, stood among great trees in a wood, facing the wind on a hill or among certain ancient stones.

As a kid I have hazy memory of some peep, a friend of a friend, wanting to drill a hole in his head to release his third eye and although it had the wtf factor at the time and was too freaky I'm wondering now, did he ever do it.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer

All Your Words Be Sooo Very True....And I Really Enjoy And Loved Reading Them ....As To Me It Is Very Sad That Sooo Many People Miss Sooo Much Because They Be Closed Off...Stuck In Beliefs Thats There Is No More Than That And Accept What They Believe Is Only Given...

And Sadly Even With What They Think They Only Have They Do Not Even Use That Fully
    ...As All And Everything Is Just Simply Taken For Granted And It Be Sadly When Some Loose That Or It Is Taken Away By The Fates Then "They Do Miss It ..And Sadly Weep For That Loss And Not Having It Or Being Able To Use It Ever Be More" ...And They Wish That They Had Not Just Taken It For Granted And Embraced And Used The Gifts Fully They Had And Were Given Before It Was To Late Sadly

But I Do Truly Believe That The Whole Problem Is That Most People In There Be Life Just Take All And Everything For Granted And So Be Therefore Do Not Even Bother To Realise When They Use Them As Everything Becomes A Simple Expected Thing And Not Seen Or Thought Off As A Sense Or Sensory Gift ...They Just Take All And Everything For Granted Unless As I Said It Is Lost Or Taken Away Sadly

Which To Me Is Soooo Sad As Sooo Many People Are Missing Out On Soooo Many Wonderful Beautiful Things And Feelings And Senses.....But Sadly You Cannot For A Horse To Drink At The Waters ..It Has To Be Thirsty To Want To Drink In The First Place ..And There Be Sooo Many Horses Of Mans World That Never Want To Drink ..Until The Waters Run Dry Then They Get Thirsty Sadly And Want To Drink The Waters That Are No Longer There

Originally Posted by Duckman
    Oh I do love a wolly jumper

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    My senses just tick over in their day today running but at times of they day they change slightly without reason but really fire up at the edge or what I take as the edge of touching the Nature when I know I'm alive be it at a point in deep embrace with a loved one, stood among great trees in a wood, facing the wind on a hill or among certain ancient stones.

As a kid I have hazy memory of some peep, a friend of a friend, wanting to drill a hole in his head to release his third eye and although it had the wtf factor at the time and was too freaky I'm wondering now, did he ever do it.
    Were you all stoned when he wanted to do that?

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I suppose he would be a .....Holy...... man if he did

The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, twistoflemon

I sometimes know when people are thinking about me, Me and my boss think things or say things at the same time. Are they senses?
    Im an empath, that's a sense.

Originally Posted by rhythm
    I suppose he would be a .....Holy...... man if he did

Chuckling my head off
    thanks rhythm

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    It's not the senses we haven't developed it's the ones we have likely already lost.

There is a guy who lives near us who lives quite quietly, one day we were chatting and my husband asked him what he did for a living; 'I'm a dowser' he said. No point not believing him, he told us about various places and companies who had employed him to find a source of water. When you think of it hiring one guy who is going to pinpoint it is a lot better than a whole geological survey team.
    Another guy I interviewed in my 20's for the radio station I was working at (did a feature on a local psychic fair, met an awful lot of frauds) said he was a healer. By this time I was very cynical. I interviewed him and he seemed like a really nice guy and I wanted to believe him but after everything else... As I was going to go he said 'You have a problem you didn't want to mention because you don't really believe in what I do'. That made me feel a bit dumb, he was right. I was 25 and I had chronic pain in my right hip. Probably the result of having a screw kick as a young child and then having swimming drills to correct it so that my kick was efficient. A screw kick is god awful and you get no drive from it. He asked me to sit down and put his hands on my shoulders. It was like your body got really warm. Twenty years later and years more swimming, my hip has never bothered me again. The gentleman and his wife did let me stay the night in their spare room and asked if I would be OK with it being haunted. Never saw a thing, probably not THAT receptive.

Oddly though there is a house in the town where I did the interview, pretty sure it is the same road and the same house - owners can't sell it. They've had open days - everything. Been on the market over a year. Possibly I was the only one who missed out on the ghost....

Anyway, we already have more than 5 senses, we have proprioception, thermoception (different from touch because you can sense temperature change without having to touch something), and nociception (responding specifically to stimuli that causes tissue damage or causes pain, rather than simply touch)
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 04-10--2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: ghost story
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I have found that by spending a lot of time out in the countryside, either fishing peaceful rivers & canals, hiking on hills and moors, wild camping, etc.. I can usually sense when someone else is around even when I cannot actually see anyone and I am nearly always right!

I call it a sixth sense that most people seem to have lost now.

I was going to say the same as daisys mum..its not what we ve not found,its what we ve lost...the body is an amazing being,with lots happening we dont know about with reguards senses xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee