THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Meet donkey

Heavenly Creature
    This is what I say about second hand mattresses. If you have slept in a hotel, you have slept on a used mattress. At least if you buy off the last owner, you get to see them. Gawd knows who's been on a hotel mattress.
    Also, you are better off with foam for rejecting bugs and everything else you won't want in the van.
    Simply take the cover off, and sew on a duvet cover as a new one, then put your sheet on top of that.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Last one i had was a dunelm it was very good but i gave it away because it was too king big.
    Charity shops have mattresses -steam cleaned so bugs are toast- and are cheapest but doesnt sound like thats a goer.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    Well he got in touch with me today, he took my lower offer after a night to think about it. Went n picked up the mattress tonight, its like brand new. Not a single mark on it, the cover zips off easily and has had the steam cleaner took to it tonight. So it looks like ive got a mattress but no bed frame to put it on. At least now i have a size to build too, before it was a question of full size double or small double. Will have to get cracking with building the furniture, only thing i got done this weekend was building a partition behind the drivers seat.

- - - Updated - - -

Well he got in touch with me today, he took my lower offer after a night to think about it. Went n picked up the mattress tonight, its like brand new. Not a single mark on it, the cover zips off easily and has had the steam cleaner took to it tonight. So it looks like ive got a mattress but no bed frame to put it on. At least now i have a size to build too, before it was a question of full size double or small double. Will have to get cracking with building the furniture, only thing i got done this weekend was building a partition behind the drivers seat.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, NomadicRT

Jd Williams are selling doubles for 99. I just bought one for the girlchild. They do have other sizes. If you are a first time customer you get 20% off too!

Heavenly Creature
    Anyone got any clever ideas on how or where to store a mountain bike, i dont have space inside or underneath. Cant have it on the back doors as i need to open them. Cant get to he roof as its too high n made of fiberglass

Cant you make a frame that holds the bike across the back doors, but is only attached to the door that opens first? Or make a frame that swings out of the way like a gate or spare wheel holder type arrangement, attach this to the nearside. To open the door, swing bike to the left then open door..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Cant you make a frame that holds the bike across the back doors, but is only attached to the door that opens first? Or make a frame that swings out of the way like a gate or spare wheel holder type arrangement, attach this to the nearside. To open the door, swing bike to the left then open door..
    the rear walls are fiberglass with a metal frame for the doors, so i cant attach anything to it. Its a good idea n i will give it some thought

Towbar mount if fitted is ideal for building off, otherwise come off the chassis rails and out the back then build upwards from there..

Pop the front wheel off (or both if you can be bothered with the reassembly) and it will hang or squeeze in somewhere in a fairly low profile fashion....I don't have mine onboard anymore because I can't afford the broken bones but I did see pictures of a live in build where both bike wheels were removed and the disassembled whole sat in a fairly low profile cupboard...

In a high roof bus/van you might have space to put a bike in internal ceiling storage once front wheel is removed but I'm a shortarse and would still have to remove a pedal or two or duck to avoid multiple head injuries.

Probably no help whatsoever but that's all I've got.
    Last edited by zendaze; 10-09--2017 at 11:52 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Fire-Tree

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    You can get pulleys to store them high on the wall.

I just put Mr. Blue outside when I'm not driving.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

I've not tried this, yet, but if the pedals and handlebars fold, it will hang on the wall taking up very little width.

whats wrong with using a vertical.bike rack like this ?

or this.on ebay 332368851246

Plenty of vertical bike storage racks you can adapt to store inside your bus....

Different models n prices, but how about a folding mountain bike?
    eBay item number 263146532116

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    whats wrong with using a vertical.bike rack like this ?

or this.on ebay 332368851246

Plenty of vertical bike storage racks you can adapt to store inside your bus....
    I'd fuck that up in about 27.4 minutes and/or the first time I parked.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, ma bungo, NomadicRT, pyke13, Sootyfoot

Ha ha.... a mate i went cycling with had a rack on his van roof and forgot about it when he went through a low bridge. ..the replacement bikes got chucked in the van thereafter

This one is great for wrecking all the toys in one go

Last edited by NomadicRT; 14-09--2017 at 03:46 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by pyke13 View Post
    Anyone got any clever ideas on how or where to store a mountain bike, i dont have space inside or underneath. Cant have it on the back doors as i need to open them. Cant get to he roof as its too high n made of fiberglass
    Those buses usually have a hydraulic wheelchair ramp and frame bolted under the rear so presumably there would be enough room to weld a frame under ther rear to slide a bike in on its side.
    Failing that id just build a storage cupboard.Take off the front n rear wheel and they dont take up much room.

Mine lives on an ali Fiamma bike carrier bolted to the back.of my trailer.

Heavenly Creature
    Bike storage is on hold, cheers fo the replies. I will have to work it out as i go. Got my bed slats today built my woodburner, now sitting outside "burning the paint of it" with a bottle of bacardi n the dog trying to forget tomorrow is my 1st wedding anniversary. Just got to finish the two overhaed lockers and put boards into the shelves in the floor to celing cupboards, build cupboard doors, wire up the lights and stereo and cut foam to fit the sofa. The blackout curtians should be here midweek. Just remembered i also need to get the spilt charger to work and to FIT THE WOODBURNER
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Its a fine day today and the forecast for tomorrow is dry so im thinking of painting it today, is there anything to stop me painting it in b&m's, carpark. Its a retail park wih about 8 shops. Theres no signs up saying "no painting of vehicles"
    ok i will get some funny looks but apart from that is there any legal shit to stop me???
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Its a fine day today and the forecast for tomorrow is dry so im thinking of painting it today, is there anything to stop me painting it in b&m's, carpark. Its a retail park wih about 8 shops. Theres no signs up saying "no painting of vehicles"
    ok i will get some funny looks but apart from that is there any legal shit to stop me???
    Can you do it inside the 2hr parking time limit???
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    Can you do it inside the 2hr parking time limit???
    theres not a time limit on this car park
    The following users think this post is groovy: realnutter

Heavenly Creature
    I painted a minibus on an unregulated private industrial estate road over a weekend last year! I used a little 300w inverter to power a sander for the body filler, plugged into the LDV.
    Go for it, make sure you have everything you need before you open the paint!!

I usually find, that if you go about doing something as if you had every right in the world to be doing it...most folks won't bother you.
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, NomadicRT

Maybe making a small purchase ,preferably painting a vehicle related sundies from one of the stores you will have some credence , but personally I think that if there are cameras (and there usually are) then some jobsworth will interfere or send a minion to do it on his behalf.

I think that changing a wheel or fixing a fanbelt would be seen as OK because you are trying to leave and that makes them happy , start sanding a van , setting up a stepladder and laying out paint dust sheets etc indicates yu aint going anywhere for a while ...

Best of luck

ps
    whereabouts are you , I have a level concrete offroad parkup in Swindon if thats any good

What are you painting it with? I painted mine with a brush in nato green with several days in between different bits, even on the same panel and you can't tell where the joins are.
    If its similar, start and if you get moved on then just park somewhere else and continue.