THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Meet donkey

Heavenly Creature
    Let's look at the worse case scenario. It's private land.
    The stores or car park security come over. They ask you to leave, and you firmly but politely say you will go once you have finished.
    They call the police.
    You again politely but firmly tell them you will leave when you have finished.
    At worst it's trespass. It would take a court order or bailiff action to get you off. That would take slightly longer to organise than the day it will take you paint the van.
    Oh and it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, don't ask in advance.
    I once sorted a whole van full of clothes (for selling) in a Tesco multi storey car park! It was raining so needed to keep the stock dry. Security did come over, but I politely said we would be gone when we were done, which we were. There was no other action.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Let's look at the worse case scenario. It's private land.
    The stores or car park security come over. They ask you to leave, and you firmly but politely say you will go once you have finished.
    They call the police.
    You again politely but firmly tell them you will leave when you have finished.
    At worst it's trespass. It would take a court order or bailiff action to get you off. That would take slightly longer to organise than the day it will take you paint the van.
    Oh and it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, don't ask in advance.
    I once sorted a whole van full of clothes (for selling) in a Tesco multi storey car park! It was raining so needed to keep the stock dry. Security did come over, but I politely said we would be gone when we were done, which we were. There was no other action.
    A lot worse could and does happen when you start argueing with the old bill. One single spot of paint on the carpark could be construed as criminal damage , also a good idea to have COHSE data on the paint to hand , thats a health and safety issue in a public place , sanding is also precarious ,how are you coing to contain /collect ALL the dust?

Not wishing to come across as pessimistic just realistic.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Rick69, Sootyfoot

me and a guy spray painted his van in a road layby with a bulk box of aerosol paint,a couple of lorry drivers chatted to us while we did it.One even .helped masked off the windows. Just do it,make sure youre not going to do any damage or get paint everywhere.if you get told to stop then move,find somewhere else.Ask permission youll rarely ever get it.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    I agree worse might happen, but I will be realistic too. It not likely to happen, mostly due to the time/money/paperwork/don't-get-involved-culture.
    Remember I have been there and done it. Keep it polite. As long as nothing descends into an argument or fist fight it's fine.

Heavenly Creature
    Done done and done, didnt even raiSe an eyebrow. No one noticed or cared. Pics will be in a new post in a day or two, once i get everything else finished
    The following users think this post is groovy: Big Millie, convoy, jonathanh1989, Miss_bee, NomadicRT, realnutter, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Did mine in farmers field and he let me use his old flatbed trailer as a raised work platform.Id didnt ask i just yold him i eas going to paint the van and he said fine use what you want.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Quote Originally Posted by pyke13 View Post
    Done done and done, didnt even raiSe an eyebrow. No one noticed or cared. Pics will be in a new post in a day or two, once i get everything else finished
    Told ya, just go about doing it as if ya got every right in the world and most people take no notice
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Heavenly Creature
    Glad to hear it! As sooty said, look like you should be doing it.

Heavenly Creature
    I very nearly put on a hard hat and yellow hi vis vest but decided against it as they have the company im working for's logo on them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Chilling Out
    Hi vis is often the key.

For anyone else looking for a temp dry place to paint, work or shelter. Look on a upto date road atlass. Dual carriageways, motorways and New-ish major trunk roads often cut through what was once a farm. They usually provide vehicle access undernieth these roads to access out-lying pasture/fields belonging to the farm, where access is needed and a alternative route would mean miles of road driving. They are still owned by the highways and many are seldom used frequently by the farmer or the public. Except for local dog walkers and cyclists. If you leave room for another vehicle to get through, you could be there for days until anyone complains or your moved on.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, pyke13, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Done done and done
    3 Coats??????

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    3 Coats??????
    2 coats over most of it till i ran out of paint, it was drying well. By the time i got round once n did all the akward bittys with a brush it was time to start the second go.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

2 coats over most of it till i ran out of paint, it was drying well. By the time i got round once n did all the akward bittys with a brush it was time to start the second go.
    Well you can't hang around if someone is wanting to shoot at you. Paint designed by NATO for hit and run?
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: pyke13

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Split charger relay should have a positive out pole 87 which you run to your auxiliary battery which need to be earthed obviously.The other wires on the relay should already be to your main battery and the alternator...i think off hand the alerrnator charge indicator wire is usually blue.You should have a light somewhere.
    Wheelchair lifts on minibuses usually have a pair of hefty cables running to the engine bay where the aux battery is with an isolator switch..Thats how they were on our service vehicles.
    Theres s simple diagram here
    https://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/Sund...itCharge01.htm
    Can i just connect my leisure battery to the end of the wheelchair lift wires and charge it that way?

Heavenly Creature
    Went out n started the bus. Split charger doesnt seem to be working. As in its only putting power to the starter battery. Help, i know nothing about electrics

Heavenly Creature
    Theres 12.38v at idle going into the split charger but nothing coming out

Heavenly Creature
    Panic over. Theres a switch in the cab. 14.4v in the rear. Just need to re route the wire where i want it. Fit the woodburner n finish alittle cladding then move into it. Hopefully tonight
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    Not going to be moving in until tomorrow. Didnt get as much done today as i needed todo. Ive only got the woodburner to fit and have a good tidy up n a skip run. Theres still lots of little jobs to do but they can be done once im living in it
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero