THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Audiobooks

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar

Audiobooks

Anyone listen to audiobooks regularly? I have a subscription with Audible and get a 'book' a month.

Also if you do, do you find that a book that you liked in paperback/hardback can be spoiled if it isn't read by someone with the right voice for the book, or just read badly. I found this in particular with one of my favourite books Suzanne O'Sullivan's 'It's all in your head'. Great book but the voice of the person who read the book just didn't fit.

Also sometimes some really fab readers can lift a mediocre book.

Any other audio book fans out there? Any one got any recommendations?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

I dont have audible books but i might try them given the hassle i have reading books ( with dyslexia) but im not a great novel reader. My late grandmother used to have audible books sent out to her weekly from the blind institute and ive enjoyed listening to some of those and id agree it does make a huge difference with who is narrating.They can be totally ruined by the wrong choice of voice and it really annoys me when theres a background score been edited in to create 'the right atmosphere' which generally inspires me to switch off.
    I think the best book ive ever listened to and is one of my favorites anyway,was Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee and read by him too.I love his writing but to listen to his voice narrating the book is a treasure.

Im not a great radio listener but i do like listening to the books read on radio 4 on various slots.
    Ill have a look at audible books though,perfect for the coming winter months perhaps.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Lightbringer

Gutenberg has an audio books section, i cant get on with the computer read ones but the human read ones can make a relaxing evening.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, NomadicRT

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    I dont have audible books but i might try them given the hassle i have reading books ( with dyslexia) but im not a great novel reader. My late grandmother used to have audible books sent out to her weekly from the blind institute and ive enjoyed listening to some of those and id agree it does make a huge difference with who is narrating.They can be totally ruined by the wrong choice of voice and it really annoys me when theres a background score been edited in to create 'the right atmosphere' which generally inspires me to switch off.
    I think the best book ive ever listened to and is one of my favorites anyway,was Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee and read by him too.I love his writing but to listen to his voice narrating the book is a treasure.

Im not a great radio listener but i do like listening to the books read on radio 4 on various slots.
    Ill have a look at audible books though,perfect for the coming winter months perhaps.
    My husband is a big fan of audiobooks, he has dyslexia too. His favourite actual books are anything by Tolkein; I thought about trying to get an audio of 'LOTR' but heaven help me if it was read by the wrong person!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Gutenberg has an audio books section, i cant get on with the computer read ones but the human read ones can make a relaxing evening.

Cheers Rick will check that out.