THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Living costs?

Living costs?

Can I ask people who live in there campers/ motorhomes. What are your daily living costs. Average per day, food,fuel, gas etc?
    I'd like to know to help me work out how much I'd need to earn to live in this fashion. Also can anybody tell me how they make there money whilst moving about?

Cost? varies on how much you spend, the more I have the more I tend to spend, I can spend nothing at all when I have nothing to spend, I earn money by working for a living the same way I would if I lived in a house.

The wheel does not need to be reinvented just because you live mobile. Up is not down, left is not right, do what you do now but in a van.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

It depends how you live, do you drive miles and miles like I do, or do you barely turn a wheel? Are you prepared to eat porridge and cold baked beans or do you want organic vegetables and balsamic vinegar?

Are you going to live on recognised camp sites or stealth in the side streets?

There is no average, first make a plan and then work it out backwards. If you want to live the lifestyle you got to have a plan. It all looks very random but its actually the reverse. Random goes tits up very quickly usually.
    Last edited by Bernie; 18-08--2017 at 08:36 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Wulfie

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    are you for real WES 87 ?

Quote Originally Posted by wandering gypsy View Post
    are you for real WES 87 ?
    Dreaming of adventure from a comfy settled life. Sadly mobile living isn't a fun adventure, it is an attitude, a really fucking hard life at times and a pinch me am I still awake awesome at others. If you need to ask random people unanswerable vague questions on the internet perhaps a bit more doing and less dreaming would help.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wandering gypsy

That's pretty harsh! I think I may have asked a few questions people might consider stupid and when you're new to something it can all feel a bit unknown and unknowable, which is why I, for one, joined this forum. Thankfully all I've found so far is encouragement and support - we all have to start somewhere!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danbot, misterfox, nicklincs

Don't become discouraged Harphilly! There are so many variables which would inform our answers to your valid questions; without knowing those we cannot give realistic answers. As Languid said, do what you do now but replace your current accommodation costs with those of running your chosen vehicle. In defence of perceived harshness, we do get trolls on here too, as well as those fishing for information towards nefarious ends. I'm not suggesting you're either of these mind! Keep on truckin with Toby n Suzy Trux.

Thanks - wasn't actually me who asked the question - as I say all the questions I've asked have been met with supportive and encouraging responses!

Oh!! I do beg your pardon; should have been addressed to Wes87. Toby.

Your food bill will be the same as it is now I would have thought.

If you want to stay on campsites it will cost from 10 upwards a night

I use a 15kg gas bottle every 6 months for cooking (70 a year)

Paul
    PⒶUL

It's not just the every day living to think about, it's the shit happens running costs to be thought about as well. Clutch and one of those barstard new flywheels (can't remember the name) and you can touch 1.5 k easily and the same applies for any repair which you can't do yourself. MOTs can be painful on the pocket too on older vehicles.
    Not all who wander are lost

See, though I didn't ask the original question these are the exact sort of things it's good to hear about, from those with experience. They might all be obvious in some respects but when you're starting out you might not have a clue! You know there'll be repairs, for instance, but 1.5k ? !
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Quote Originally Posted by harphilly View Post
    but 1.5k ? !
    Dual mass flywheel. Peeps will say the older vehicles don't have them but older vehicles won't last forever and then there's the electronics on newer ones.

Yeah...dilemmas...but I've never heard of any kind of flywheel before never mind a dual mass one! Totally new language!

Some vehicles when the dmf lets go it takes the gearbox casing with it, my mates t5 needed lots of money spent on it for that reason - now fitted with a solid flywheel conversion! That and all the bits that come off prior to failure fuck your starter motor up. Technology certainly has come a long way...

Dmf ? ! ?

(Could replace the first two letters in my last comment to much the same effect...)
    I am presuming I don't actually need to know all this stuff to drive and live in the thing?!

Dmf ? ! ?
    If I said 'suck, sqeeze, bang, blow' you'd be thinking something different to what it means but so many naive peeps get ripped off by mechanics for lack of knowledge. If you're looking to live and exist in a van you should at least know the basics or be prepared to pay loads to garages.

Yeah that makes sense for sure, but what's the best way to find out the basics without being overwhelmed? Any suggestions?

Yeah that makes sense for sure, but what's the best way to find out the basics without being overwhelmed? Any suggestions?
    Plenty of interweb sites, for example:

http://www.carbibles.com/maintenancetips.html
    The following users think this post is groovy: Saul

(For a total mechanical nitwit (in case you hadn't guessed) who finds even walking into b&q anxiety-provoking.)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Thanks! ☺

Looks like you're gonna be on a learning curve, harphilly

Think I'll have to make friends with a good mechanic!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee