THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SLUGS!

Heavenly Creature

SLUGS!

WHAT is going on?!! I keep finding slugs in the van. Just got one off the ceiling and another above the door. They are always high up. Why? It must take them hours to get to the top of the van!

Turning On
    Slugs love beer, put some beer in a yogurt pot somewhere low down. They can't help but get in. Dunno why your getting them tho

I have herds of them here.I had them in my trailer yesterday also and.kicked them.out .No idea how they got.in.Ive slug trails on the ceiling and up the wall again today so theyre plotting something...
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    We don't have a van. We live in a first-floor flat. But sometimes we find slugs that have apparently made their way all the distance up the wall to get to our flowers on the balcony! The O/H throws them far away in great annoyance. I think some must have soft landings in the grass and eventually come back. Quite why they climb heights like this when there is so much vegetation below is always a great mystery!

No slugs in the van yet, but some big nasty f***ers on the path outside... not nice to step on in the dark...

Heavenly Creature
    They are tiny compared to the ones on the range. They look like dog poo with feelers....
    What eats slugs? I don't think it's realistic to catch a hedgehog and hang it in a harness from the ceiling.
    The following users think this post is groovy: MrsP, NomadicRT, Wulfie

I put the cat food out in a stainless dog bowl and you can almost hear them galloping across the field.Came back from tesco and 50 plus fat dog turd size slugs in the bowl..
    Ive been sprinkling chilli flakes around,they dont seem to appreciate that....Only thing that gets rid of them and safe to pets is diatomous earth or nematode worms...microscopic critters that devour slugs.

You could set up.a slug cafe away from the van. Pointless me trying im in a 12 acre field.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 21-08--2017 at 11:39 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Stace

Transcending
    Slugs can get through a much smaller gap than you'd imagine - I've seen slugs the size of your thumb squeeze through a hole a pencil wouldn't fit through. Ducks love to eat them, but afraid that's not too practical in a van.

I can't stand slugs. I accidentally trod on one a while back, and its innards made a squeaking sound as they came out. Luckily enough I was wearing my mums slippers.

Not noticed a slug in the van for a while.....plenty of moths currently and tonight I had a bat for 5 minutes or so.

As mentioned somewhere above beery slug traps work and the slugs get to die on a high.

Bats are cool..ive a bike rack on the rear of my trailer and noticed a few nights back the bats hang on the bike rack...think.theyre.hunting the moths and earwigs of which there seems to be a plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_bee View Post
    I can't stand slugs. I accidentally trod on one a while back, and its innards made a squeaking sound as they came out. Luckily enough I was wearing my mums slippers.
    yes lucky (for you not the slug) i keep treading on them in bare feet ..sticky slimey goo that wont come off.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, MrsP, Stace

Heavenly Creature
    Wow bats. I wish! I haven't seen these slugs outside, which is odd.
    There used to be a shower in the van (sold before we got her) and the shower tray drains to the floor, no grey water tank. Same with the kitchen sink. I could understand if the slugs were loitering in the shower or cupboards, but WHY are they on the ceiling?? It's the driest bit of the van!
    I haven't got any beer so can't make a slug trap.

I've noticed a shit load of ants about today

We had a van with a rear lounge and found them climbing the set of drawers in the middle, not sure how the got in except for the locker underneath my bed which we used to put ramps in.

Oh Nomadic RT

Hey NRT!

Wish
    I
    Hadn't
    Read
    That
    While
    I
    Was
    Eating
    My
    Yogurt
    Roughing it smoothly...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, NomadicRT

Is this a contender ?

046.jpg

Ugh! Ugh!! Horrible thing, growing so big.

Heavenly Creature
    Shroom those are the size I see on the range and in the woods. The ones in the van are less that half the size, and beige. Could they be adolescents looking for somewhere to over winter?

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    VW, there are different species of slugs, that is why they look different.

Although humans generally find them revolting, they are interesting animals and have their place in the ecosystem.

http://www.slugwatch.co.uk/?page_id=13
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Shroom those are the size I see on the range and in the woods. The ones in the van are less that half the size, and beige. Could they be adolescents looking for somewhere to over winter?
    dunno , I got the same in the garden , wrinkly bronze/brown and about the size of a plum , I seem to recall that we have Spanish slugs here that are bigger than our natives , (probobly came over with the bloody spanish bluebells)

here ya go

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...8427176468.jpg

just did a google image search for slugs and it seems the ones I have are indeed Spanish ....

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    VW, there are different species of slugs, that is why they look different.

Although humans generally find them revolting, they are interesting animals and have their place in the ecosystem.

http://www.slugwatch.co.uk/?page_id=13

Im not wishing to deny them a place in the ecosystem...I just wish theyd stay out of my ecosystem.....Ive got at least 5 different kinds here all invading my trailer....i keep throwing juicy left overs well away from my place to attract them away but most nights its a writhing mass of slugs like a naked orgy.
    Snails are easy to collect up and relocate.Theres never a family of hedgehogs around when you need one.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 24-08--2017 at 03:18 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I've always got a slug problem another drawback to living in a swamp I've taken to putting pellets in the wardrobe, I've even got slugs​ chasing and eating other slugs, they are useful for getting burnt on food off pans though,I just throw the pans out the door into the long grass at night and the next morning they're sorted
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy