THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Bugs

Bugs

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

As a naturalist this is something I've noticed over the years. In my garden over the last couple of seasons, which I plant to attract wildlife including insects, there seems to be a steady decline. Far fewer butterflies than even 5 years ago + less variety of bees + hoverflies. This year hardly a social wasp (the type most people think of as wasps) in the garden.

When I'm out on field trips much the same. We are gaining some new species in the south- some by natural colonisation (such as Tree Bumblebee + several moth + dragonfly species) + some by accidental imports (such as Harlequin Ladybirds, Rosemary Beetle, Box Moth). Climate change is having an effect- some beneficial, some not.

A visit to many European meadows show a paradise of wild flowers + masses of crickets, grasshoppers + butterflies.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Where i used to live a couple of years back i was surrounded by what can only be described as industrialised cereal crops and routine spraying so there was a poor range of wild flowers and insects.Very few butterflies or bees,nothing as exotic as grasshoppers.

Where i am currently some 20 miles south and has a wider variation of farmland -cereal but mostly sheep and cattle theres a very diverse range of wild flowers and insects.

Sad though that in general theres a huge decline in wildflowers insects and wildlife in the UK Everything is geared for the profit of big agri businesses who seem content to wipe out any diversity that gets in the way.

I noticed a few years back how few insects there were both on the car which was usually plastered with bodies and as a cyclist being hit by them.Was a time id be smothered by them riding the lanes but that rarely happens now.

I consider myself lucky to have had a childhood in the 60's when there was still a diverse range of habitat and species on and around farmland.I can remember catching crayfish and minnows and all.kinds of water insects in my local streams...all since gone long ago.

Supremely ironic as the leading nation once obsessed with discovering collecting and categorising the natural world weve become joint leaders with the US in destroying it all for profit.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 28-08--2017 at 03:41 PM.

It's easy to get despondent but it's not all bad news. I live in the outer west London suburbs + can see much wildlife. Thirty years ago probably the only bird of prey I would have seen would be Kestrel. Yesterday morning I saw 3 kestrels, 4 sparrowhawks ( a family of 3 together), 2 hobbies, 2 buzzards + a young peregrine. Also often see red kite too. Also birds like little egret are seen often but now spotted flycatchers now no longer breed + willow warblers almost gone.

Hedgehogs dramatically declined while non-native muntjac are doing well.

Marbled white butterflies have now colonised some of the meadows near me as have ringlets whereas small tortoiseshells are much rarer + wall browns totally gone.

Garden tiger moths with their woolly bear caterpillars are virtually gone from the London area but we now have Jersey tigers instead.

So much is changing in the natural world around us!

Yes but no matter.how you dress it up it is what it is,the systematic destruction of habitat and species.Theres not a fraction of wildlife that was abundant when i was a kid.You have to.go looking in special areas for species that were once 'in your face'.I know theres positive improvements but the general situation is rapid decline.
    It doesnt help when wildlife is in decline or being systematically wiped out (see badger culls and raptor extermination) here to suit the interests of farming and hunting landowners,or in the US the approval by Trump and his rich white old men to the extermination of wolves bears and coyotes again in the interests of ranchers and the carriboo and moose.hunting fraternity.
    Glad i wont live long enough to see what the end result will be.
    Humans will do what theyve always done,wring their hands and wish for change when its already past the point of no return.

Well I Be And Must Be Very Blessed As I Have Mahoooosive Loads Of Insects..Bugggs...Butterflies...Dragonfl ies..BumbleBeez ..Pond Skimmers ..Moths...Ants ..Beetles ..Eeeek Cteepycrawlie Spiders...Craneflies...Caterpillars..And Cacoons...Etc Etc In All Shapes Sizes Colours ...And Everyday I Be Blessed To See Soooo Many Beautiful Things And Be Surrounded By Them Too hehehehe..
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes...My Garden Is Full Off Rows Of Rows Of Rows Of Mahoosive Lots Of Wild Flowers And Yep Also Weeds ..Stingers .Dandelions..Daisy..Buttercups..Thistles ..Vines And Creepers Etc Etc ...But I Love It That Way ...Because It Is Me ..And They Be Like Me In Heart And Spirit Meaning They Be Wild..Untamed And Naturally Wildly Free .. So They Simply Grow And Grow And There Be Beautiful Flowers Day And Nitez Flo
    Like Magical Seas Blowing In The Winds As They Dance And Send Out There Beautiful Scents For All My Little Friends All Who Are Welcome To Come Sit And Fly And Stay With Me In My Garden Or Wildness ..
    So Yep...They All Gather And Come To Meez Every Day And Every Nitez For Visits ..Which Makes Me Always Big Sunshine Smiles And Be Happy Happy ...And Feel Blessed To Be Gifted With Such Beautifulness Each New Born Day

Form From The Void & Mists

Last edited by Miss_bee; 11-09--2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Its great to feel at one with nature.

I remember the first night we slept in our new house and there was a huge bat flying around the bedroom!

I was that tired afrer driving all day that I just went back to sleep!

Did your new house have a belfry, by any chance?

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    Did your new house have a belfry, by any chance?
    No belfry; I'm afraid but it is about 100 years old.

I was awoken again later that night by the bat flying round the room and making a whooshing sound as it passed by the bed.
    So I got up and opened the bedroom door and the bat flew onto the landing and then down stairs to the hall. So I then went downstairs and opened the kitchen door and the bat flew into the kitchen. So I then opened the doot into the utility washroom and the bat flew in there. So I went into the utility room and left a door open to a storeroom which would allow the bat to get outside!

That was one clever bat, I can tell you! Also, the biggest bat I have ever seen!

Though, it was probably thinking what the hell are these people doing in my house!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

There are a pair of bats that appear near my flat every night and spend about an hour or so whizzing around a tree. I have no idea why they would do that, but its brilliant to watch.

Hate to admit it but you're right, we seem to carry on till its all too late. Very sad state of affairs.
    As for the bat comments, bats are so cool. Went into a bat cave a few weeks ago on an organised trip and loved it!

Shame councils don't force developers to build non human habitats along with the pitiful affordable housing.
    Albeit sometimes the tenants they put in makes it seem like they do!