THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Budget laptop recommendations

I might need forum assistance
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

The zoostorm has arrived it's got a Dodgy pixel in the screen but i think i might live with it,it looks good I've already made a mistake it needed an update for the latest version of Windows 10 and I didn't realise how big a file it was and tethered to my phone it's eaten all my remaining data but not eaten enough to actually download the update
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I'm not brilliant with computers..
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    That's not good. One dodgy pixel might turn into ten, then it won't be easy to live with. Personally I would send it back.
    You have managed up to now, a bit longer to get a replacement wouldn't matter would it?

Turning On
    I wouldn't buy any new PC if your after budget. It would be sensible to buy a far better specced older model at a fraction of its resale price.

-- Posted from the
    --

Turning On
    If it was me the I would look at buying a 2-300 laptop. Probably go for a macbook around 2010-12. These will keep their value and are great for both running mac and windows (yes you can dual boot them and apple freely let you) there is a guy in here that can help you with computer problems /repairs. Beyondthevan he has experience in both if you had any issues with either platform.
    My old macbook was bought new in 2009 and I only bought a new one last year. After 7 years of ownership the laptop cost me less than 500 quid in depreciation. I only changed it as I had the money to upgrade. There was nothing wrong with the machine or I would still have it now. The only thing that went was the battery, that was fixed with a YouTube video, poundland screwdrivers and a Chinese battery off eBay. I think you will find better specced older laptops will last far longer than new budget ones

-- Posted from the
    --
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

I think I will embark on the returns process,had a quick look on laptops directs website and it looks like a pain, ring zoostorm first for a fault no then post it back to them recorded delivery,I paid with PayPal and payed PayPal with my credit card so I will phone up on Monday and find out what I have to do
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    How long have you had the laptop? By law they must allow 14 days weather you want the product or not. As you can not see the item till it arrives. So regardless to what they tell you they must give you a refund if you request one. PayPal is pretty easy, you can open a case saying that you have returned the product (give a tracking number) and there will be a case opened, follow it through and you will get your money back

It was delivered yesterday
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    They must give you a refund if you want one, by law. If bought over the Internet you get a 14 day cooling off period, even if there is nothing wrong with the item you can still return it. 14 days is the minimum cooling off period but under certain conditions it can be up to a year
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Just find a reputable business seller on the bay and buy an old Thinkpad x220 with at least 8GB RAM and at least an Intel i5 second or even better 3rd generation. You can find a good one for around the 200 mark.

Contacted laptops direct this morning the first person I spoke to said that a few pixels out of whack isn't considered faulty so i will have to pay return costs,I rang zoostorm who were very good and gave me a log no for a faulty screen and I've been back in contact with laptops direct spoke to another customer service person gave them the code number and it sounds like they might send someone to collect it, but I'm waiting for them to phone with the next step, what a fucking ball-ache..
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    How many pixels are not working? Have you tried fixing them yourself as they might just be stuck. If it's an LCD screen there is ways to fix it. Have a Google at stuck LCD fix, there is a method you may want to try

Just one pixel, but I will be returning it if possible now and not going anywhere near laptops direct again but it has to be said that zoostorms​ customer service people were very pleasant and helpful.
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    Once despatched, if you have ordered the wrong item by mistake, we also allow you 14 days from the day following your delivery to let us know if you want to return your product(s) so long as they are unused. (Excludes business customers.)
    Please note: You are responsible for the cost of returning unwanted/cancelled items to us, and for the value of the goods if they are diminished as a result of your handling whilst with you or in the return transit to us.

This is taken from their own returns policy. Zoostorm have already given you the go - ahead to return it. And as said in a previous post you can return it to them.
    If you are returning it personally I would use a courier like my hermes. These are cheap, offer better insurance than Royal mail and are very fast. Yes you will be returning it at your own cost but I'm sure the lesson will be learned.
    I think I would sack off the phone call andi would ring them telling them that the service is unacceptable, broken items should not be sent out and you have changed your mind about the laptop . You will be returning the item along with whatever code / email Zoostorm have gave you. And expecting a full refund. Yes it states in their policy unused however how do you test for broken pixels without using the product?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Heavenly Creature
    The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states you have the right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality.
    This right is limited to 30 days from purchase.

Email them and state the CRA 2015.

There sending DPD to collect it today after another frosty phone call..
    just a simple guy

Hell's teeth I've been reading customer service reviews on reviews.co.uk for laptops direct not good reading, it's been collected I will just have to wait and see what they do next but I'm getting ready to go through PayPal if they start fucking me around,why didn't I investigate before I pressed yes please?..
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    PayPal should refund you the cost of of it. I wouldn't stand for anything over a week of them receiving the laptop back. They should acknowledge the return and give you what you wanted pretty quickly.
    PayPal are very good at returning money if all requirements have been met and I'm pretty sure you have a strong case between the email or code from zoostorm, the returned tracked package and whatever laptops direct have said plus the laws on buying online. PayPal will side with you and give you your money back
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Offgrid hero

Paypal are good at returning your money but will prefer you come to an amicable arrangement with the vendor and allow them to fulfill your order with a replacement.Dont do that.tell them straight off you want a refund.Ive taken vendors to task a few times for items that turn out to.be faulty or not as listed and always got my noney refunded,though paypal are always slow paying your money into your account.They usually state in their terms it will.take 7 to 10 working days for your money to arrive in your account....but at least you get it.
    TBH i hate paypal but to be fair you are pretty well guaranteed all your money back if youre not happy...and within a couple of weeks.Alternative methods Paying by credit/debit card can take 60 days or more for a dispute refund...it really depends on the card company you use as to how quickly they act.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

I think I might wait till black Friday now and see what's on offer.
    just a simple guy

Worth keeping an eye on whats about because a lot of new model ranges are introduced before Christmas and the older models often get substantially reduced.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Just had an email from PayPal saying the money has been refunded
    ,right off I go again..
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    Awesome, I would look for a decent last years / last season /end of the line laptop rather than a budget laptop. You will find better deals that way made with better parts and better quality control.

I have to say I didn't dislike the laptop but a feature that I thought would be a bonus the touch screen I wouldn't of used unless the screen completely detached and the low battery Life could have been a pain,so I've learned a little in my specification requirements at least.
    just a simple guy