THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Budget laptop recommendations

Budget laptop recommendations

It seems I need a computer I'm thinking of a budget of 300 I know very little about them and what to aim for in terms of spec inputs etc,I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction for a good buy.
    just a simple guy

I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for. If its just browsing internet rather than gaming then you could pick up a decent reconditioned laptop with a 6 month guarantee for half your budget but bear in mind the battery may not last as long as a new one. (if you use on battery that is)

I got a s/h Dell laptop/ notebook 2 years ago for about 140 and it's still doing ok, lasts about 2 hours on battery.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I would never buy another Dell. Only going for HP or Toshiba. you might find a good new one on E-bay.
    We all lead different lives.

I don't think I'll be doing any gaming on it I guess internet/viewing stuff on SD cards/ripping CDs nothing that needs a lot of processing power I wouldn't of thought.
    just a simple guy

I bought one of these, and think it's brilliant for the price...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It has a 64Gig SSD which means it boots really fast, but means you need an external HDD for serious storage...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by realnutter
    I bought one of these, and think it's brilliant for the price...

It has a 64Gig SSD which means it boots really fast, but means you need an external HDD for serious storage...
    That looks good I'd need to buy a cd/dvd drive thing by looks of it but they can't be expensive?
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    That looks good I'd need to buy a cd/dvd drive thing by looks of it but they can't be expensive?
    No, it's got one built in!

Originally Posted by realnutter
    No, it's got one built in!
    Awesome! What's the difference between a netbook and a laptop?
    just a simple guy

Netbooks generally dont have a dvd/cd drive and have a smaller screen.

I can do you an external usb dvd writer cheap if you need one.

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Netbooks generally dont have a dvd/cd drive and have a smaller screen.

I can do you an external usb dvd writer cheap if you need one.
    If I buy the zoostorm and so far it's the front runner I won't need an external DVD writer, but thanks for the thought..
    just a simple guy

I've found the zoostorm for 184.97 from laptops direct.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, NomadicRT

Any more laptop recommendations? The only thing that's putting me off​ the zoostorm is that is quite old lot's of retailers have discontinued it so I'm guessing a new model might be on the horizon but it's​ a British company which surprised me, also what's the difference between usb2 and 3/AC WiFi is it worth having?..
    Last edited by Offgrid hero; 04-09--2017 at 11:21 AM.
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    It's quite old? Define old. I am still using a netbook I bought new in 2010. It works, so I still use it.

Once I've bought something I will keep it going as long as possible but if I'm buying new then I'll try to make sure that it is as up to date as possible, technology only gets better does it not?
    just a simple guy

I've had a look on zoostorms website and can't find any laptops on there they must have stopped making them.
    just a simple guy

When i was looking for another laptop last year there were quite a few toshiba laptops around the 200 squid mark..(new not used) Theyre usually good spec for the price too.unlike most others.Lenovo are too.On amazon and ebay.Never heard of zoostorms tbh but i only search for makes i want so thats nothing unusual.
    Worth looki g on Tesco and Asda sites too,they often have big discounts on some makes.I bought my Sony vaio and my Acer from Tesco hugely discounted. Im happy with both but I need a newer one and Toshiba always came out best on spec for price so thats what im looking for but wont be till new year.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

The HP stream 14" seems to be considered a good buy on a lot of reviews I've read, solid state drive,10.5 hour battery,usb3, bluetooth 4.2 @ 200 any thoughts?..
    just a simple guy

I havent read much about them tbh but hp are better now than they used to be. Lenovo ideapad rsnge are supposed to be good and the toshiba satellite range,acer aspire range and asus and can ve found in your budget range on ebay .I wouldnt bother with Dell at all personally.
    Most of the SSD pc notebooks dont have dvd/cd drive so youd have to source a periferal drive if you have cds or dvds,which isnt a problem but its something else to buy if you needed that option.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 04-09--2017 at 03:40 PM.

Usb3 is 10x faster than usb2 apparently.
    just a simple guy

I thought I'd buy the hp stream 14" @ 200 from John Lewis because of their 2 year warranty but it's out of stock
    just a simple guy

I rang John Lewis to ask when it would be back in stock they said in 2 weeks but couldn't confirm the price I had a quick look at pc world but they only had it in purple a bit racey for me, so I saw it as a sign. can't be arsed to think about it anymore and ordered the zoostorm..
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I thought I'd buy the hp stream 14" @ 200 from John Lewis because of their 2 year warranty but it's out of stock
    Dont amazon do a hp woth 2 year warranty?

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Dont amazon do a hp woth 2 year warranty?
    I don't know,too late now I'm waiting on a zoostorm..
    just a simple guy

Apologies i read that after...hope it arrivrs soon a d you can get on with installing it all.