THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foraging

Heavenly Creature
    Apparently slugs are bitter.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Apparently slugs are bitter.
    Bound to be if you.keep stealing their food ...
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: 2wheelsgood, 4scoreand20, convoy, Lightbringer, Miss_bee, parrotandcrow, Rainbow Phoenix, Wulfie, yazz

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Has anyone ever foraged snails? There's shit loads round here, and I'm mighty tempted....

Snails are like sea muscles and need to be cleansed first to rid them.of bacteria....the link.might help

Transcending

Originally Posted by NomadicRT

Snails are like sea muscles and need to be cleansed first to rid them.of bacteria....the link.might help

We have all the info thanks. I was going to start a snail farm up a few years ago but the shipping container was to pricey. We just wander if anyone on here has tried it. ☺

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Not Quite a Noobie
    i forage apples for cider ,blackberrys for wine ,thistles are healthy and eddible ,and just look at whats growing in lawns all around you ,wild lettace,dandelions,yarrow and much more ,lots of wild foods that most people dont even realise they are there,and are completly overlooked
    Last edited by marcco; 05-09--2017 at 08:56 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by NomadicRT

Snails are like sea muscles
    Um, forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but they're more like , ummmmmmm sea snails...
    , you know, whelks, etc....

But thanks for the links!

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Um, forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but they're more like , ummmmmmm sea snails...
    , you know, whelks, etc....

But thanks for the links!
    I meant the prepping of them.....
    Only snailey things ive eaten are winkles (and muscles) but im not that keen.... Ive eaten worse things but if its not a survival issue id rather leave them to their own devices.
    The following users think this post is groovy: realnutter

Originally Posted by yazz
    We have all the info thanks. I was going to start a snail farm up a few years ago but the shipping container was to pricey. We just wander if anyone on here has tried it. ☺
    ah..i see...sorry cant help.Ive only ever raced them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: yazz

Am gonna try to make blackberry jam for the first time next week...just got myself one of those cooking thermometers. Anyone got any tips...is it easy enough to get it right?

Taking the kids foraging tomorrow. We are lucky to live right next to a disused railway line which has loads of rosehips and blackberries, woodland with rogue apple trees and elder and a churchyard with sloes!!!! Jam, syrup, wine and gin to be made!!

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    Am gonna try to make blackberry jam for the first time next week...just got myself one of those cooking thermometers. Anyone got any tips...is it easy enough to get it right?
    Someone here put up a really simple recipe for plum jam a few days ago. I'll have a look!

2 cups of sugar to 3 to 4 pounds of plums (or blackberries, I presume?) Boil for 45 mins. Done! Courtesy of yazz.

I like foraging for spring greens mainly. I ate lots of wood sorrel, garlic mustard, ground elder and dandelion or hawthorn leaf salads this year and made a big batch of wild garlic oil. Lots of nettle soups and lasagnes too.
    I love mushrooms too but have issues picking them....it makes me feel guilty as they always look so pretty
    Emma - Can you tell us all how you make wild garlic oil?

Originally Posted by misterfox
    Emma - Can you tell us all how you make wild garlic oil?
    Ingredients

• 500g of pre-flowering wild garlic leaves
    • 500ml of light olive oil
    • 1 tsp sea salt

Suggested Instructions

1. Gather your wild garlic leaves on a dry day.
    2. Roughly chop them, then put in a food processor along with olive oil and the sea salt. Blitz until pureed.
    3. Pour into clean sterilised jars, making sure that there is a small amount of olive oil covering the contents.

That's the recipe I used...it has lasted ages I still have one jar left in the fridge from springtime..
    The following users think this post is groovy: stuoolong

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    2 cups of sugar to 3 to 4 pounds of plums (or blackberries, I presume?) Boil for 45 mins. Done! Courtesy of yazz.
    Yeah it seems simple enough from what I've read. Jam making is very domesticated...I feel like I should wear a pinny

Heavenly Creature
    If you get a bit more ambitious, there's a recipe for a nice Pumpkin and Ginger jam here, that we do every year a bit later on, when they are giving them away after Halloween:

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    If you get a bit more ambitious, there's a recipe for a nice Pumpkin and Ginger jam here, that we do every year a bit later on, when they are giving them away after Halloween:

That sounds really nice Oldkeith. Was thinking of trying rosehip jam too not sure what it would taste like though..

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    At the Meet, along the riversidside there were a lot of jews ear /jelly ear fungus which is edible but I've never tried it. The Elf cups Emma are said to be quite rare, only ever seen a couple by me but a lot down the Cotswolds.
    Jews ear is delicious, fried in butter.

The jam I made with blackberries was fantastic, first time, but the pan was a write-off. There is a technique for getting both right but I don't know it.

I used to make a nice omelette out of amethyst deceiver mushrooms, I found them in woodland where there were both rocks and water.

Ingredients

• 500g of pre-flowering wild garlic leaves
    • 500ml of light olive oil
    • 1 tsp sea salt

Suggested Instructions

1. Gather your wild garlic leaves on a dry day.
    2. Roughly chop them, then put in a food processor along with olive oil and the sea salt. Blitz until pureed.
    3. Pour into clean sterilised jars, making sure that there is a small amount of olive oil covering the contents.

That's the recipe I used...it has lasted ages I still have one jar left in the fridge from springtime..
    Emma - Thanks for the recipe. Can you tell me the reason for picking the leaves before flowering?

Where I come from, wild garlic is knowns as Ransoms and even the flowers are edible. :-)

For jam, a lot of recipes recommend to use equal amounts of jam and sugar. For me that can be a little too sweet!

So I normally use 12ozs of Sugar for each Pound / 16ozs of fruit. But it may not keep as long!

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by misterfox
    Emma - Thanks for the recipe. Can you tell me the reason for picking the leaves before flowering?

Where I come from, wild garlic is knowns as Ransoms and even the flowers are edible. :-)
    The leaves are more tender and have more flavour before the flowers arrive .
    We pick loads and freeze them .
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Noobie
    Nothing fancy, just blackberries, apples and pears. I give the berries a good wash and pick them over for maggots, lay them out on baking trays to freeze and then bag them up. The apples and pears I peel, slice and then freeze on trays before bagging.