THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foraging

Foraging

Does anyone go foraging? If so what do you eat & recommend?

This year I have eaten nettles for soup and also elderberries which I added to plum jam and have made excellent elderberry wine many times over the years.

I make sloe gin and gonna try making elderberry gin this year. Always on the lookout for self down fruit trees to plunder too, apple cores thrown from moving vehicles mean apple trees are everywhere by the roadside... Shame to see fruit wasted if you can use it.

I forage quite a bit, starting in spring by tapping birch tree's. Then it's on to wild garlic and then the early nettles. Pine needle tea at the start of summer is nice too. Various mushrooms and then onto fruits and berry.
    I trundle along with my house on my back but im not a tortoise

Parasol mushrooms and puffballs are easy pickings, fried in butter with garlic. Sloegin and elderberry jelly. Haven't done it this year but there's areas where there are loads of old roadside damson trees but these are gradually disappearing. Used to make damson-guiness.
    Not all who wander are lost

I used to pick Elderberries for my grandma to make wine, blackberries in my neighbours garden just the standard stuff really, there are mushrooms in the fields and woods behind where I live but never picked any, may buy myself a book and go on a mushroom mish
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like foraging for spring greens mainly. I ate lots of wood sorrel, garlic mustard, ground elder and dandelion or hawthorn leaf salads this year and made a big batch of wild garlic oil. Lots of nettle soups and lasagnes too.
    I love mushrooms too but have issues picking them....it makes me feel guilty as they always look so pretty
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    I like foraging for spring greens mainly. I ate lots of wood sorrel, garlic mustard, ground elder and dandelion or hawthorn leaf salads this year and made a big batch of wild garlic oil. Lots of nettle soups and lasagnes too.
    I love mushrooms too but have issues picking them....it makes me feel guilty as they always look so pretty
    I served upwood sorrel after performing a handfasting ceremony at Beltaine for some close friends.
    I trundle along with my house on my back but im not a tortoise
    The following users think this post is groovy: emmadilemma

Wood sorrel is my favourite....have a secret patch that i guard from intruders

Originally Posted by Bigbear67
    I make sloe gin and gonna try making elderberry gin this year. Always on the lookout for self down fruit trees to plunder too, apple cores thrown from moving vehicles mean apple trees are everywhere by the roadside... Shame to see fruit wasted if you can use it.
    I have tried sloe gin and it is awesome! So tasty!

Elderberry gin should be interesting too!

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    Wood sorrel is my favourite....have a secret patch that i guard from intruders
    Do you eat wood sorrel raw or cook it?

I have made wine from elderberry, hawthorn, plum, damson, apple, parsnip, clover & dandelion but elderberry is still the best of all!

Originally Posted by misterfox
    Do you eat wood sorrel raw or cook it?
    Just raw in salads. It has an amazing taste...sort of like fizzy citrus..

Heavenly Creature
    I'd love to try wild mushrooms but don't want to get poisoned!

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    I'd love to try wild mushrooms but don't want to get poisoned!
    Same

I love sorrel and wild garlic,two.of my favorites ...I love marsh samphire too,youll find it in estuary marshes in August. Ive found lots of sloes this yesr so i think a bottle or two of gin needs to be got...also tons of rosehips.elderberries and blackberries...,if only i had a freezer :/
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 03-09--2017 at 11:50 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

You can't go wrong with giant puff balls..there's no poisonous equivalent. There's other edible mushrooms called Scarlet elf cups that are really easy to identify too..

I captured a couple of giant puffballs last year,I love them.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    I know what giant puffballs look like, but haven't seen any in ages.
    Are there any poisonous bracket fungi? There loads of em in the woods.

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    I know what giant puffballs look like, but haven't seen any in ages.
    I noticed some in a field few years back , biggest was basketball size and far too big for my tank bag so I took a smaller one and returned next day with a big knife,unfortunately the big one was turning purple /black inside so no good , but the other one was delicious sliced like a loaf and fried in butter
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Wulfie

At the Meet, along the riversidside there were a lot of jews ear /jelly ear fungus which is edible but I've never tried it. The Elf cups Emma are said to be quite rare, only ever seen a couple by me but a lot down the Cotswolds.
    Not all who wander are lost

I found 2 giant puffballs when I was a kid, stuck them in my garden until they went manky, no Internet in them days so had no idea what they were.

So far we ve had wild garlic,mushrooms(lots,but not as many as last year)apples,blackberrys,plums,pears,dams ons(only a couple,no bag!)looking out for sloes and later chestnuts xx

Has anyone ever foraged snails? There's shit loads round here, and I'm mighty tempted....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Has anyone ever foraged snails? There's shit loads round here, and I'm mighty tempted....
    We've loads of slugs you can have!