THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Feral tomatoes

Heavenly Creature

Feral tomatoes

Right, I've found a tiny grove of 20 or so plants growing in some fly tipped soil. The plants still seem to be coming up!
    I've pinched them out, and done some weeding. The first trusses are going to be ripe soon.
    I am wondering if the smaller plants would survive being moved into pots.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Should do. Only one way to find out! Don't let em get dry and they probably be OK.

Heavenly Creature
    I have to go up North for work so I hope I don't miss them ripening. It would be impossible to pot the big plants. They are sprawling all over the soil bank and I don't know where one starts or finishes!
    I do wonder if the deer will get them! They eat something next to them. Do deer like tomatoes?

Probably they're foragers so I would think they might.

Funny you should mention deer. On several sites (reclaimed former colliery spoil heeps) that the Forestry Commission took over. The ground was landscaped and topsoil brought in. To enrich the topsoil, thousands of tones of compost were spread (cleanings from the many sewage processing plants around Scotland and Northern England. For the first few years, tomatoe plants sprang up like a farmers crop. However the deer didn't make much impact, if at all, on the tomatoe plants or the tomatoes. Maybe deer aren't that fond of them.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature
    Good to know!
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    I decided to pot one of the smaller plants, it looked like it had either been blown or knocked over. Hopefully it will survive
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    My best ever tomato plant randomly came up on a pile of building rubble that I was piling up to back fill a traditional stone wall. I eventually started watering it with some left over washing up water and had monster tomatoes off it all summer.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Heavenly Creature
    Is it possible I could get seed from these for next year? Truly free toms!

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Is it possible I could get seed from these for next year? Truly free toms!
    Yes you can get the seeds for future years. Google to see if the seeds need to pass through a gut to germinate though.

Heavenly Creature
    One of my plants is dying
    I don't know if it's the cooler weather of something else. I think I might try to pot some of the smaller plants and bring them into the yard. I've found at least another ten across the other rubble

Heavenly Creature

Here's a photo for posterity!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

The daylight hours are decreasing. Plants like tomatoes will be very confused. We have a young apple tree. It came into flower late spring, shut down, then started to flower again late June. I looked at it yesturday and it's all in flower again. If I were to put it under artificial lights and control it's environment I bet I could have apples on it by the new year.. this years been a bugger for the grasses growing. Normally we would see dry brown grass in the fields, but it's still growing well.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

I don't know if it's the cooler weather of something else. I think I might try to pot some of the smaller plants and bring them into the yard. I've found at least another ten across the other rubble
    Could be tomato blight , but the cold will not be helping . To save the seeds place then on some kitchen towel and let them dry out naturally . Tomato seeds keep well is stored in a cool dark airtight container . I am using seeds over 7 years old with out any problems !
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    I assume they have to be ripe though. Am I right?

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

I assume they have to be ripe though. Am I right?
    Yes , riper the better

Can you put some plastic sheet over them at night just to keep cold off..They wont last unless theyre in a warm sunny place or poly just keep em going as long as you can .Ive managed to keep them going till early November when its been mild but soon as frosts come theyre done for.Not enough sunlight to rien them either.Green ones will ripen on a sunny window sill or dash and if not they make nice chutney.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 19-09--2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...