THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any boat builders on the forum?

That collective from scandanavia that used to post on here were building a wooden sail boat weren't they...maybe they'd help out..
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    That collective from scandanavia that used to post on here were building a wooden sail boat weren't they...maybe they'd help out..
    I'm pretty sure it was aluminium....

Transcending
    Are you looking for construction tips ? I'm guessing the plans will cover most stuff, but there are a few things it might not. For example, buy plenty of Zap-A-Gap glue and Zap Kicker accelerator spray - it makes tacking the ply panels together easy. Bury a piece of plastic drainpipe so it sticks out the ground about 3 feet, push disposable icing bag into the top, point downwards, fold the top down the side of the pipe and then fill with your epoxy / colloidal silica mix - easy. When you take the bag out of the pipe, hold the open end and swing it around your head a couple of times to get it to the bottom and get the air bubble out - do it before you cut the end off the bag. If you mixed up too much resin / silica, flatten the bag as thin as you can and put it in the fridge, it won't go off so quick, stops it exotherming if you made the batch too big. Cable ties - lots of them. Always paint your joints with unthickened epoxy before filleting with epoxy / silica mix. Time spent tidying up an unhardened fillet is seldom wasted, it's a bitch to tidy up when it's set, marine plywood is very soft and easily damaged. Give the keel a decent layer of fibreglass, turn the boat upside down and do it in two strips, overlapping in the middle where it's most likely to get damaged. Use West Systems epoxy. UHMWPE plastic is incredibly wear resistant, good for protecting vulnerable areas, can be softened and shaped with a heat gun. etc.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, realnutter

Ahh, it took me a couple of times of reading about the piping bag o get what you are on about. Good idea.

Paul
    PⒶUL

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Here's my Cape Cod Frosty....

I built it just to prove I could... long gone now... But I still have my sailing canoe, which I fitted out from a GRP open canoe:

My current boat project is restoring a 1970 International Moth....
    Wo
    That Be Sooo Cool Your Boat Building Craft And Lovezz The Name Too

Good Luck With Your Restoring You Moth I Bet Will Be Beautiful When You Finish
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    My O/H is a bit of a boater, and even has a coastal navigation stiffkit, and all the ones leading up to it. (Some time since she went coastal sailing, mind
    ). But getting a coastal certificate, even a Day Skipper, is a very good idea and gives some appreciation of what you are in for.

One day she decided to build a (very) small Canadian type canoe, a Phil Green Nessmuk, out of one sheet of marine ply, in her brother's garage. All on her own, refusing all manly help

, of course.

The canoe turned out very well. It is only about 8' long, but handles well, and turns in its own length. It's very light and carryable.
    Here's a few old pics of the build, sorry about poor resolution; scanned off of old photos from cheap camera....

All these clamps were mostly borrowed from a carpenter neighbour.....

Partway through the build

Just needs gunnels and painting now

Here it is in use, and a beaming Marian paddling it!
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, aman, Danann, marshlander, Miss_bee, realnutter

Transcending
    My first purchase would be one of these:

I used the Omer 20/12 nailgun, fantastic tool, worth it's weight in gold for plywood boats.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Danann, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    My O/H is a bit of a boater, and even has a coastal navigation stiffkit, and all the ones leading up to it. (Some time since she went coastal sailing, mind
    ). But getting a coastal certificate, even a Day Skipper, is a very good idea and gives some appreciation of what you are in for.

One day she decided to build a (very) small Canadian type canoe, a Phil Green Nessmuk, out of one sheet of marine ply, in her brother's garage. All on her own, refusing all manly help

, of course.

The canoe turned out very well. It is only about 8' long, but handles well, and turns in its own length. It's very light and carryable.
    Here's a few old pics of the build, sorry about poor resolution; scanned off of old photos from cheap camera....

All these clamps were mostly borrowed from a carpenter neighbour.....

Partway through the build

Just needs gunnels and painting now

Here it is in use, and a beaming Marian paddling it!
    Wo
    I Sooooo Love Your Beautiful Marian .....She Be Soooo Beautifully Skilled In Building Crafts And Beautiful Inside And Outside Too xx And She Beams Mahoosive Sunshine Smiles Bigger Than The Sun Itself .....Yep Yada Yayyyyy I Truly Love Your Beautiful Marian Soooo Muchly
    ) ...And You Too Off Course hehehehe

Heavenly Creature
    Careful there, Danann, you were getting me
    worried for a minute....

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

I like the idea of that little canoe. I wonder if I could make it ourof a sheet of corexWhere do you get the plans?

Paul
    PⒶUL

Originally Posted by aman
    I like the idea of that little canoe. I wonder if I could make it ourof a sheet of corexWhere do you get the plans?

Paul
    Corex? Like estate agent signs? Not sure how you'd glue it.....
    Last edited by realnutter; 14-09--2017 at 12:23 PM.

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Corex? Like estate agent signs? Not sure how you'd glue it.....
    You don't glue it. You cable tie it and then waterproof tape over the seams

Paul
    PⒶUL

PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, NomadicRT

Clever idea but i.just seriously dislike plastic.
    Ive built a few canoes and dinghys from stitched and glassed ply and a clinker planked coble fishing boat(mostly used on the north east coast launched from the.beach).....If i ever cobble together enough money i want a rowing wherry...

Last edited by NomadicRT; 14-09--2017 at 05:43 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Danann

Chilling Out
    Saw a fleet of these come into Scilly St Mary while we were moored there, they're very pretty. The assoc. website says 'not a DIY thing' (
    ) but while we're doing wishlists...

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Careful there, Danann, you were getting me
    worried for a minute....

hehehehe
    ))

Originally Posted by Alf M
    Saw a fleet of these come into Scilly St Mary while we were moored there, they're very pretty. The assoc. website says 'not a DIY thing' (
    ) but while we're doing wishlists...

What id call proper boat craftsmanship -clinker planked and a right pain in the arse to build but worth the pain and suffering when theyre finished.
    Similar in size and rig to the Wayfarer of the same era but they were ply (then later GRP). Awesome boats to sail at sea in a very lively wind and ive had plenty of fun doing just that....as I expect the Redwing would be. I wouldnt think the price of one would be affordable to mere mortals now.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 14-09--2017 at 05:50 PM.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by aman

Paul
    I'll ask her if she's still got the plans someplace. She bought them off a guy called Phil Green about maybe 20 years ago, or more. He called the boat design 'Nessmuk'. I am told the guy since retired, so don't know if the plans are still sold. He did other designs too, mostly small boats.
    Tried googling for a picture, but came up with a whole lot of US bigger plastic boats with the same name....

Nessmuk is a canadian canoe based on the stitched bark native canoes.Ive made similar canadian style hunters canoe like this

Ive got plans on pdf for cedar strip canoe if anyone wants any.

Nessmuk is actually the pen name of George Washington Sears who studied pioneer boats and commissioned the copy of the stitched bark canoe in the picture below in the 1800's

Simon clements in Oxford (Pitt Rivers museum) recreated a range of early boats

This....

Last edited by NomadicRT; 15-09--2017 at 02:23 AM.

Here you go,found the link for you

Video too......

Last edited by NomadicRT; 15-09--2017 at 02:07 AM.

Heavenly Creature
    Yep, dozens of canoe designs, all broadly similar, have been called 'Nessmuk', over the years. Especially in the States.

I'm told Phil Green, who designed perhaps the smallest 'Nessmuk', retired to Ireland, but the trail seems to go cold after that.
    We'll look for those plans, though.

Yes Nessmuk (Washington Sears) explored the Adirondack by various forms of canoe built by a boatbuilder called Rushton and the yve been broadly copied by numerous boat builders in various materials including GRP, kevlar and dacron over the last century.Ive got books by both Washington Sears and Rushton,theyre fascinating reading.
    Theres a website called Paddlinglight has lots of canoe and kayak plans
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 16-09--2017 at 12:06 AM.

Good luck , stay safe 👍

-- Posted from the
    --

Second hand boats are so cheap at the moment, the market is at rock bottom, its much cheaper to buy one than to make one

I bought an Enterprise dinghy on a road trailer for 200 simply because I wanted the trailer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT