THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any boat builders on the forum?

Do we have any boat builders on the forum?

I have decided to set myself a challenge (I need a scary challenge in order to get anything done in life) and part of that challenge requires me to build a boat.

I am going to sail, singlehanded around Britain and Ireland and I need a boat to do it in. I have done a bit of boat building in my time but I just wondered if there were any professional or very keen amateurs on here who can help me with material selection and techniques etc

So what is so scary about sailing around the coast? You might say. Well the boat I have chosen is only 13 foot 10 inch and made of plywood.

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, parrotandcrow, Rick69

That size is scary. Some of the 'calm seas', tide races I've seen off Duncansby Head and the isles are reminder enough for me to stay on terra firma. Good luck on your journey there Paul.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

I Wish You Good Luck And Safe Seas Sailing With Your Scarey Adventure
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

And The Irish Seas Can Be Very Powerfully Strong And Wild Both On Top And Below And She Has A Wildness About Her That Can Be Unleashed From Calm To Wild In A Spark Like A Burning Tiny Flame That Catches The Wind And Turns Into A Raging Growing Wild Forest Fire.
    So I Wish You Always Be Safe And Keep Safe Sailing And Even Though I Nooo Boat Builder Or Boat Sailor I Know It Not Be Size Of Boat That Matters It Be The "Strength" ..So Build Powerful And Strong Around To Protect And Keep Safe Whats Held Within As That Be You.

Blessings Of Her Protection Of The Seas I Send To You.
    And A Blessing For You Lil Boat That Carries You Within
    Form From The Void & Mists

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    That size is scary. Some of the 'calm seas', tide races I've seen off Duncansby Head and the isles are reminder enough for me to stay on terra firma. Good luck on your journey there Paul.
    Are you up in Cathness wulfie?

I will be going round cape wrath and out round the Orkneys etc. Should be fun. It would be nice to meet up with some people from the forum on the way round

Paul
    PⒶUL

Originally Posted by Danann
    I Wish You Good Luck And Safe Seas Sailing With Your Scarey Adventure
    )

And The Irish Seas Can Be Very Powerfully Strong And Wild Both On Top And Below And She Has A Wildness About Her That Can Be Unleashed From Calm To Wild In A Spark Like A Burning Tiny Flame That Catches The Wind And Turns Into A Raging Growing Wild Forest Fire.
    So I Wish You Always Be Safe And Keep Safe Sailing And Even Though I Nooo Boat Builder Or Boat Sailor I Know It Not Be Size Of Boat That Matters It Be The "Strength" ..So Build Powerful And Strong Around To Protect And Keep Safe Whats Held Within As That Be You.

Blessings Of Her Protection Of The Seas I Send To You.
    And A Blessing For You Lil Boat That Carries You Within
    Wht thank you Danann

With modern technology you should be able to track my position all the way round and I will have internet access for most of the time I would have thought so I can keep you updated

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Originally Posted by aman
    Wht thank you Danann

With modern technology you should be able to track my position all the way round and I will have internet access for most of the time I would have thought so I can keep you updated

Paul
    Thats Soooo Cool Aman Paul.....It Will Be Like That Famous Movie ."Around The World In 80 Days" But Instead It Will Be ."Around The Seas With Aman Paul" hehehe...As We All UKHippy Be There With You And Popping In hehehe As We Be Riding And Sailing The Waves With You hehehehe.....Sooooo Techno Cool
    ))

Ooops I Forgot To Say...
    And It Be Just As Well You Not Be Having Any Techno Sound When We Techno Follow You Along Happy Hippy Seas...As All You Would Hear From Meez Would Be
    "My High Squeals As I Would Be Sounding Like A Little Piglet Full Of Hyponess Hahaha And My Feet Bouncing Across My Floors As I Bounce Bounce Up And Down...Cos I Sooooo Lovezzz Sea/River/Skinny Rivers"Canals'Boating Sailing ....
    ))
    .Last Time I Got Let Loose On A Fabby Cool RosieJim Looking Canal Boat The Whole Of The Canals Were In Shock Of High Pitched Piglet Squeeling As I Bouced And Run Up And Down The Top Dancing And Giggling With My Arms Up To The Skies In A Colourful Explosion Of HyponessAnd The Poor Village Well Lets Just Say Kinda Was Like "Yhe Twilight Zone" For Them hehehehe..
    ..And Wont Even Be Saying What Happens When I Get Unleased On A Big Mahoosive Sailing Boat hahahaha But "Another Dimension Springs To Mind...hahahaha.
    )
    Last edited by Danann; 12-09--2017 at 08:24 AM.

Don't get too excited as my boat will be anything but mahoosive I am afraid. I will be sailing in a very tiny boat just big enough for me to lie down in. I wont even be able to stand up

Paul
    PⒶUL

Don't get too excited as my boat will be anything but mahoosive I am afraid. I will be sailing in a very tiny boat just big enough for me to lie down in. I wont even be able to stand up

Paul
    Wo
    Be Sounding Like The Cutie Cute
    Iggle Piggle Boat ...hehehe. ..He Dangles A Lighted Up Lantern On It At Nitez hehehe.

Well As I Be Saying Before Its Not The Size Of The Boat That Matters Aman Its The "Strength" ...Cos Even Big Boats Can Be Weak No Matter There Size....
    So Pick Good Strong Wood That Can Keep You Always Safe Within And Sailings
    ))

Ooooh!!! Are you building a Paradox?

I was looking longingly at one at the Beale Park boat show back in June....

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Ooooh!!! Are you building a Paradox?

I was looking longingly at one at the Beale Park boat show back in June....
    Exactly that. I am going for a sail in one in a couple of weeks. What was the name/colour of the one you saw?

Paul
    PⒶUL

Are you up in Cathness wulfie?

I will be going round cape wrath and out round the Orkneys etc. Should be fun. It would be nice to meet up with some people from the forum on the way round

Paul
    No sadly not. Just spent a lot of time on the more isolated spots up there away from people and distraction. Cape Wrath has appeal but never got on it due to being unable to leave the O/H unattended now I'm a bit beyond getting there.
    Not all who wander are lost

It was Little Jim... I've known about the design for a few years, and have thought of building one, but don't have the facilities...

I have built a Cape Cod Frosty, a 7' stitch and glue sailing dinghy... not quite the same skill set, but close... I'd love to help you build yours...

Matt

I am building a sea kayak, but have been looking at adding a sail and outriggers, the ceder strip construction is pretty simple; a router, sander and a cheap table saw are all the power tools you need.

I would have thought a sea kayak would do much better in rough waters than an open small ply dingy.

Plus it can be easily transported on a roof rack.

It was Little Jim... I've known about the design for a few years, and have thought of building one, but don't have the facilities...

I have built a Cape Cod Frosty, a 7' stitch and glue sailing dinghy... not quite the same skill set, but close... I'd love to help you build yours...

Matt
    That is the one I am going sailing in.

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    I am building a sea kayak, but have been looking at adding a sail and outriggers, the ceder strip construction is pretty simple; a router, sander and a cheap table saw are all the power tools you need.

I would have thought a sea kayak would do much better in rough waters than an open small ply dingy.

Plus it can be easily transported on a roof rack.
    The paradox is not an open dinghy. It is a fully enclosed micro yacht capable od extended cruising. I can store food and water for a month and provides shelter in all weathers

Paul
    PⒶUL

Here's my Cape Cod Frosty....

I built it just to prove I could... long gone now... But I still have my sailing canoe, which I fitted out from a GRP open canoe:

My current boat project is restoring a 1970 International Moth....
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Danann, marshlander, oldkeith

Chilling Out
    Why no keel?
    Doesn't that make you a bit topple-able and lose way against the wind?

See It Is Like Iggle Piggles Boat
    ))
    Ok He Sleeping Now In Pic ..But During Day It Has A Sail Like Pics Above hahaha

So Thats Why I Call Those Types Of Boats "Iggle Piggles"
    What Peeps Call Paradox
    And Its Easier For Me To Renember The Name That Way Too....

As English Words Have Sooooo Many Meanings As
    "Paradox" I Thought Was Another Dimension Universe Time Travels Space Thingy Or Maybe I Wrong On That? .
    ) x Either Way Its A Cool Fabby Boat

Originally Posted by Alf M
    Why no keel?
    Doesn't that make you a bit topple-able and lose way against the wind?
    Nope... it's built with lots of weight low down, and additional water ballast in internal tanks... It will pop right back up after a knockdown...

Also the flat bottom extends out beyond the sides, so that when she's heeled over the leeward one digs in to the water and acts like a keel....

Being flat bottomed, she is simple to build, easy to launch and retrieve, can dry out on sand or mud without falling over... lots of plus points!
    Last edited by realnutter; 12-09--2017 at 11:51 AM.

Sounds like you guys would enjoy this, if you haven't read it already:

Guy sets out to sail down the Severn and ends up in the Black Sea

Originally Posted by lupinthief

Yep... brilliant book!

Chilling Out

Nope... it's built with lots of weight low down, and additional water ballast in internal tanks... It will pop right back up after a knockdown...

Also the flat bottom extends out beyond the sides, so that when she's heeled over the leeward one digs in to the water and acts like a keel....

Being flat bottomed, she is simple to build, easy to launch and retrieve, can dry out on sand or mud without falling over... lots of plus points!
    Interesting

I've done some messing about in boats, and by the looks of the paradox in that video could probably handle one, but my expertise does not run very deep.

Originally Posted by lupinthief

Just got it from the library
    PⒶUL

Just got it from the library
    Cool.. see you in six hours!

No idear about building boats but it sounds like a very cool adventure so good luck