THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Making a small van livable without losing too much space

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine85 View Post
    I'm looking for a vent to let some light in ideally too would the mushroom roof vent bring any light in? The vents do look awesome. Curtains wise I was going to get some wall hanging tapestry & get them thermally lined on track possible or maybe via magnets in the out edges. Foam pads fitted with velcro sounds like a good option to use thanks
    I've not seen any clear mushroom vents for sale so probably not....I got a little light from mine but more of a light bleed.....nowhere even close to what a a clear skylight provides.

Turning On
    A skylight is something I've liked the idea of for a while with my van being insulated soon but I should probably hold off getting the roof insulated until I find the right one the works for my roof. Lay down in bed staring at the stars watching the world go by does sound like a pretty good bed me!

The seitz heki 2 skylight is quite a large skylight for motorhomes etc Its about the largest youll get,most are 40cm x 40 cm or 50cm x 50cm these are 78 x50 131665212818 131939026034 although there is a Dometic skyview which is 140cm x 44cm but theyre hard to find.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Turning On
    I've been having a look through some seitz skylights thanks my other idea is a curved window at the front of the roof possibly. I will try & compress a pic to put on to show where I mean if I can. When I had a Lunar Metorite I use to like seeing the stars lay down & the sun come up from the front curving window.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Turning On

Turning On
    It looks like a rectangular window could be place there but I wouldn't mind a window that curves up towards the roof. inside high top at front - Copy.jpg

I used to.like the full glass roof on the fiat stilo.It was a series of smoked glass panels that folded back leaving a big open roof.
    The following users think this post is groovy: sunshine85

Turning On
    A full glass roof would be nice although it could get somewhat colder with more glass there exposed. I guess it depends on how well you insulate it I suppose. As regards to optimising the small space in my van getting the right pots, pans, cups, where you put the kettle is important. I've seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT3-4-Person-Cooking-Pot-Camping-Cookware-Outdoor-Pots-Frying-Pan-Kettle-Set-UK-/192130542879?epid=927203050&hash=item2cb bdf6d1f:g:UGIAAOSw8gVX9ffD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-C...auquKmd4z7bexA
    I'm sure if a drink from collapsible silicone kettles tastes bad. What peoples opinions & experience with these types please?
    Last edited by sunshine85; 21-09--2017 at 01:35 PM.

To be honest youre best keeping any skylights a moderate size both for heat loss and potentially compromising the roof strength and structural integrity.

As regards cookware i cant advise as i do t know how you handle cookware without use of your arms. Ive got plenty of cookware but in reality i use 2 x 2 litre stainless pans,a tiny fry pan,a cast iron skillet plate(for pancakes crumpets etc ,2 litre gas hob kettle and occasionally a pressure cooker in the trailer.Outside use ive got a cast iron dutch oven and a cast iron fry pan.
    Ultimately it comes diwn to how much space you have and what you personally can handle.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 21-09--2017 at 02:43 PM.

Turning On
    Compromising the roof strength is certainly not something you'd want to do that's for sure. In terms of how to handle things like pots & pans with my disability I don't really do any of that yet. I flip waffles so I know I should be able to do toast, crumpets, cheese slices on toast & pasties a like. I'll be cooking on a dry pan or skillet predominately until I either adapt physically or until I invent more new gadgets or find something that'll work for me. I have someone help me with my day to day living & it's been like that since my accident back in '05. My van will be the first time I will live by myself for longer than a day. My aim is to live 2 to 3 days on my own independently which is 2/3 days more than I do now or have done since '05. There's going to be big changes for me with my van which I can only prosper from I can't wait.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Rick69

I suppose what you could do with is some kind of shoulder yoke that you wear and can pick up two handled saucepans and things in your camper...we'll have to design you some essy use camper gear

Or you need a Moley kitchen robot.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 21-09--2017 at 11:22 PM.

Turning On
    That's a possibility done the right way cheers. A make shift way would to tie a hook to some long woven fabric/thin rope & pick them up with it in my mouth possibly- my neck has gotten rather strong doing things differently these days. I'll no doubt invent some new stuff for me to be able to live with some independency in my van. One of my favourite creations so far has to be my hands free pipe & bong that I can load up myself & chong, clean, reload & repeat.#I'm hoping I'll get it out there so other disabled people can get their medicine even if they're paralysed from the neck down my new design device will enable them to do so. That will be in my van for sure
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, pyke13, realnutter

I was just thinking about the yoke I have.Its actially a video camera steady....like a steadicam it eliminates camera shake when youre movi g around.Theres a part of it that sits over both both shoulders on pads and a pad on your chest and back and a sprung arm.mechism takes the weight of the camera....anyhow ithought the yoke could be adapted so you can pick up saucepans safely and not have your face over the heat or hot saucepan parts in your mouth

Hands free pipe and bong sounds awesome lol I can think.of someone i.know with MS who would like that idea.

Turning On
    Yeah that sounds like a safer option than the other method. I singe my beard & eyelashes probably ever month when I'm baked & trying to light the last bit of my spliff on the gas stove but it's worth it Mary Jane's my best friend she's always been good to me My aim is to have a small hidden hands free pipe in my van which will be the piece de resistance. I know this isn't size related as such but can anyone advice me of any 12v to 240v power inverters that aren't noisy & ideally don't cost a fortune? The one I had in my caravan was mega noisy so I'm hoping there are quieter ones out there hopefully
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I made up something a few years ago for someone with ms at their request. It was a soldering iron with a turned metal cup on the top, this fitted through the screw top lid of a glass jar. Also in the lid were two holes, one of which had a piece of tube attached. The lid was mounted to a piece of wood which sat on a table, and also had a power switch for the iron.

The cup was filled with resin and the jar then placed over it and fastened to the lid, he would then turn on the iron and wait until it got hot, at which point the tube was used! Seemed very effective and he could operate it easily.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, sunshine85

Turning On
    A brilliant story to hear Rick69 & a very cool gadget by the sounds of it too good on you. My smoking pipe I used was a portable pipe with built in flame. I got someone to customise a small wooden craddle/box to hold the pip into place. How I light the thing was by adding a wooden trigger that run though the wooden box to the pipe trigger which I press with my shoulder. Soon after I added I added a bong to make it smoother which worked great but unfortunately it stopped working so I got a new one. This didn't last long either it was apparent that these lighters were poo so I needed a new method. I use a universal gas lighter with peizo button ignition on a wooden box in front of a bowl that you put the good stuff in. Same principle as the other pipe with a trigger I operate with my shoulder. I added a extra water chamber out of a glass jar for double filtration & double the coolness. The next stage of my smoking pipe which I call the chongol is the trigger being powered by a solenoid & a power pack. You could operate this with any part of your body including your head. I got a solenoid & power pack but it didn’t operate for some reason. Once I get this sorted it will be useable by nearly everyone able bodied or not. The next progression is rather than use a gas lighters & flame is to use a heater element to vape it instead. Here's my double filtration bong I use thumbnail_IMG_0507.jpg
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Rick69

Re your igniter, you can get battery spark igniters with a push button eg ebay 142421713848

Turning On
    You could do with a different effects dependent on where the arching wires went. Parallel just above the bowl with the arching sparks & toasting your bowl or touching the bowl or where you thinking of something different?

Battery igniter combined with something like a butane soldering iron or mini blowtorch maybe?

Turning On
    That could be possible for in the house maybe. Ideally I want this to be portable so I can put it in my bag & medicate where ever I go. Smaller, the more discrete the better that's the goal with this. Once I've got a decent one to show then I'll get videos out on youtube & get it out there so other people can see that no matter what their abilities are they can medicate easily. I don't see myself on Dragons den or getting patented lol everyone should have this available for free