THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CORACLES

Now I understand why I'm so fucked up - reading all this groovy boy stuff, it's cos I'm a flaming girly wafty pink thing and I always wanted to be a boy - DOH ! Oh well, I'll put my next time round request in on the right form if I get a chance
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    xxx

bits of wood, tarp, penknives, catapults, fire, spudguns, air rifles and now ratchet straps , expanding foam and gorilla -glue - FFS who'd want lippy and high heels !!!
    Last edited by verticalis48; 14-09--2017 at 12:43 PM.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Nah Verti, being a girl is great. The trick is not to see fun as a gender issue. It has never occurred to me that something I might want to do is the prerogative of men.

Live now, never mind waiting until the next time around.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid

CORACLES

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    Nah Verti, being a girl is great. The trick is not to see fun as a gender issue. It has never occurred to me that something I might want to do is the prerogative of men.

Live now, never mind waiting until the next time around.
    Girls do not realise how lucky they are not to have testicles..bein roshambo'd is a thing every guy fears...them huevos are sensitive!

But on the other hand...us guys don't have monthly issues that require sanitary products so I suppose both sexes have their own gripes!

Funnily enuff I never see gender as an issue in anything, women are generally more precise than us gung ho fellas, and as for driving? Well ...you know those bigass earth moving machines that can transport about 100 tons a go? The diamond mines prefer women drivers because they are gentler on the machines than the guys
    Last edited by Sootyfoot; 14-09--2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added some
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Well ...you know those bigass earth moving machines that can transport about 100 tons a go? The diamond mines prefer women drivers because they are gentler on the machines than the guys
    That and there's no requirement to parallel park them.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by Rick69

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    Nah Verti, being a girl is great. The trick is not to see fun as a gender issue. It has never occurred to me that something I might want to do is the prerogative of men. Live now, never mind waiting until the next time around.
    You're right I guess Maggie........I think the concept of "fun" wasn't in the box of tricks/book of rules I got from the 1950s and certainly laughing too loud was definitely not an option for "ladies".

Anyway, having met Lucy I'm certainly making up for that now......laugh.....she did actually make me wet myself - and the frigging rule book is now well and truly out of the window in shreds - better late than never eh !!!
    All I need to do now, is work out how to handle this energy without breaking things all around me
    xxx

ha ha ha ha ha ha - you cheeky sod and by the way, since I lost all vestiges of dignity and decorum recently - I find my parallel parking has become inch perfect
    xxx

Girls do not realise how lucky they are not to have testicles..bein roshambo'd is a thing every guy fears...them huevos are sensitive! But on the other hand...us guys don't have monthly issues that require sanitary products so I suppose both sexes have their own gripes! Funnily enuff I never see gender as an issue in anything, women are generally more precise than us gung ho fellas, and as for driving? Well ...you know those bigass earth moving machines that can transport about 100 tons a go? The diamond mines prefer women drivers because they are gentler on the machines than the guys
    Groovy and encouraging Sootyfoot and yep it's even-stevens really ......... I never got put through National Service or serious Cross Country, was just having a girly whinge........got to stop it and pick up me baton.

And as for batons, never mind the testicles, how the hell you manage to deal with the bit on the front end - amazes me......bet you don't get a rule book for that either
    xxx

CORACLES

Originally Posted by verticalis48

And as for batons, never mind the testicles, how the hell you manage to deal with the bit on the front end - amazes me......bet you don't get a rule book for that either
    xxx
    "The bit on the front end" as long as ya don't catch it in ya zip it's fine!

And yeah, no rule book! Spontaneous erections as a teen were hugely embarrassing, you girls don't have THAT problem!
    The following users think this post is groovy: verticalis48

Originally Posted by verticalis48
    xxx
    We did, it was called Razzle.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, verticalis48

We did, it was called Razzle.
    Ahhh the memories, or should that be mammaries?

Ahhh the memories, or should that be mammaries?
    The razzle romp....

]Coracles on the River Teifi, West Wales 1972. The two people pictured are John (forefront) and Will Davies of Cenarth the last two legitimate Coracle fishermen in Cenarth. They are both using the single arm method of propulsion a means of gliding downstream in a controlled way. They carried their boats (and their fish) home on their backs.
    The coracle is a small, roundish shaped,[1] lightweight boat of the sort traditionally used in Wales but also in parts of Western and South West England, Ireland (particularly the River Boyne),[2] and Scotland (particularly the River Spey); the word is also used of similar boats found in India, Vietnam, Iraq and Tibet.[3] The word "coracle" comes from the Welsh cwrwgl, cognate with Irish and Scottish Gaelic currach, and is recorded in English as early as the sixteenth century. Other historical English spellings include corougle, corracle, curricle and coricle.
    I consider myself lucky to meet these two guys when i was a youngster,I went fishing with Will once or twice and they taught me how to use a coracle..i would be about 8 or 10 .There was also a workshop of theirs in Cenarth where the coracles were made and was fascinating to watch and what mostly inspired me to get involved in canoeing sailing and rowing.
    When i took.up sculls rowing a few years later I was on the Severn a lot and there was occasionally guys using them on the river in summer when it was low and slow flowing.
    The coracles on the Teifi were used on the river a lot in the summer and im sure almost every visitor to the area in the 60's a d 70's most probably has a photo of the coracle fishermen netting for salmon.

It was a huge disappointment to return to Cenarth a few years ago to find the coracle workshop.gone replaced by a landscaped area and public toilet block and no sign whatsoever of coracles....just line of coaches and hundreds of day - outers mostly interested in piling into the cafe.

A lost era and mostly lost skills and traditions.Fortunately some folk keep the coracle building art alive but more for its heritage point of view.
    As kids we all wanted to build one or build a canoe. I wont diss all youngsters as there are some about with an interest in the outdoors and stuff i did as a kid but mostly I agree for the majority if its not a screen theyre looking at theyve no interest in what goes on around them.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, verticalis48

BTW Sooty...where did you find that long tranch about coracles ?

Wow !!!!! things just get more lovely and synchronicitous every blooming day on this site xxxx (yes I made that word up btw) xxx

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    BTW Sooty...where did you find that long tranch about coracles ?
    I just googled coracles and I believe it is on Wikipedia

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    I consider myself lucky to meet these two guys when i was a youngster,I went fishing with Will once or twice and they taught me how to use a coracle..i would be about 8 or 10 .There was also a workshop of theirs in Cenarth where the coracles were made and was fascinating to watch and what mostly inspired me to get involved in canoeing sailing and rowing.
    Likewise in the early 60s. Paddled up under the mill there and if memory is right it was with this guy.

Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, verticalis48

pretty hard to control them things but its all apart of the charm aint it ?
    yep i made/had a go at making a coracle a couple of times. it was great fun. but always ended by being in a giant bowl of riverwater, trying to reach the banks before we totally sank... hehehe
    its a wavy world fullof sheep and rainbows
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, verticalis48

I just googled coracles and I believe it is on Wikipedia
    So it is...i did a text search earlier and couldnt find it...thx Sooty
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 14-09--2017 at 04:05 PM.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Likewise in the early 60s. Paddled up under the mill there and if memory is right it was with this guy.

wow great photo...spot on.Hes standing by the netting pool and on other side of river was their workshop.Back then you were allowed to rod fish the stretch between the bridge and the falls/mill but AFAIK its been banned for decades. There was a small cafe and up the road a cottage that sold bait worms but the village was virtually unspoiled,then the council decided to make it a tourist attraction...the rest is history.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 14-09--2017 at 03:35 PM.

Originally Posted by EnfysaDafaid
    pretty hard to control them things but its all apart of the charm aint it ?
    yep i made/had a go at making a coracle a couple of times. it was great fun. but always ended by being in a giant bowl of riverwater, trying to reach the banks before we totally sank... hehehe
    Some of the more rounded designs are like big saucers and are awkward to control until you.get the knack.The more square ones on the teifi were easier more stable and well shaped for netting too.

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    HOLY SHIT!

I want a giant basket boat!
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    HOLY SHIT!

I want a giant basket boat!

There you go

Search build your own coracle theres loads of info

Last edited by NomadicRT; 14-09--2017 at 04:15 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, Sootyfoot

That is well groovy xxx