THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stealth Campers: Van size trade offs

Orys, you seem to have issues with everything I say, feel compelled to contradict me at every chance, please stop it. It is boring and most of your contradictions are plain wrong.

I frankly do not give a shit the slightest shit in a hand basket what any persons nationality is. I called the vans a plague, not the drivers, how in the hell would I even know the nationality of the driver of a van in the first place? Am I psychic, do I pull them over and ask? I know at least one of them is driven by a Brit, they are on the road to blatantly flout the driving safety requirements that HGVs have, the drivers seem to do crazy hours which cannot be healthy, safe or give them any life outside of driving. In the last couple of years in Europe they have gone from being the odd one spotted to finding them everywhere I look.

Heavenly Creature
    I would just like to add that even 3.5 ton drivers have to follow the driver's hours law, they don't have a tachograph to do it. They are supposed to use an hours book, the type that was used pre tacho.
    Not that it's anything to do with stealth vans.......

Transcending
    Yes I suppose buying a soft side and building a box inside would be cheaper. I guess my idea came from retrofitting an existing Luton live in, you could have all your windows and pretty doors for when you're out in the open, and pull the curtains across to become 'peterborough manure ltd' when you don't want to show.
    The following users think this post is groovy: pyke13

Tuning In
    Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    Orys, you seem to have issues with everything I say, feel compelled to contradict me at every chance,
    You seem to think very high of yourself. I simply spoke on the topic I am familiar with, nothing to do with you personally.

The small vans running crazy hours per day are here for decades, it's only that recently Eastern European companies decided to provide some comfort to drivers, hence sleeping cabs and pods becoming more and more common sight. I am happy that we agree on the point that this industry is a pathologic one and needs some regulations (no matter of the nationality of the driver or specification of the van used by them).

Tuning In
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I would just like to add that even 3.5 ton drivers have to follow the driver's hours law, they don't have a tachograph to do it. They are supposed to use an hours book, the type that was used pre tacho.
    Actually only in Britain (GB Domestic rules) or Germany (Tacho rules for all vehicles over 2.8t), perhaps also Austria, but I am not sure of that. And only Germany seems to enforce it.

Now, as per those stealth vans:
    I like the idea of the stealth curtainsider, but curtainsider bodies are quite complicated and heavy. But the common bodies used by those Polish companies (in UK they are called "tilts" I think) might be actually a good solution:

See, this body is actually just a bit of tarpauline that is basically thrown onto the frame:

and then secured by pulling a cord or a tape through loops that are fed through the eyelets at the bottom and back edges of it:

My guess would be that one could even easilly convert a standard box van to look as one of those tilt vans: all that would have to be done is to make a tarpauline to measure and fix some loops along the edges of the body, then secure it with a TIR cord or similar thing... Those example pictures I just pulled out from the internet have some sides at the bottom, but tarpaulines that go all the way down are quite common:

You then could even seal the cord and be sure, that nobody was in the van when you were away.

EDIT: actually I just recalled that there is a guy on a Polish camper conversion forum that did something similar: he wanted a 4x4 expedition vehicle, that is much more comfortable to live in than a standard Land Cruiser or Land Rover, and still stay under 3.5t, so he build a "stealth camper" on a 4x4 Iveco, disguising the sleeper pod under the tarpauline.

Here are some pictures:
    http://www.camperteam.pl/forum/files..._kopia_600.jpg
    http://www.camperteam.pl/forum/download.php?id=195225
    http://www.camperteam.pl/forum/files...resize_209.jpg
    Last edited by orys; 13-10--2017 at 09:38 PM.