THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Stove top eco fans on sale at Aldi

Stove top eco fans on sale at Aldi

Aldi are selling stove top eco fans for 24.99 in store now. I've checked them out and found them to be of a descent quality. Boxed and traded under the 'workzone' label. These are the type with the heat activated tilting base plate Spring, that tilts the rotating fan for maximum efficiency.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, Wulfie

That's a good price. i bought a cheapish one from amazon a couple of years ago was aroiund 35 .
    They do spread the heat well but the one issue I have is that I like to put the kettle on the stove top and it can be a bit dicey trying to pick up a moving, hot fan (with a bent coat hanger) to make way for the kettle.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

These have the loose wire lifting/hanging hoop built in. What's different on these from Aldi (compared to the older/original) ones, which I still own and use for over 6 years. Is the bimetallic strip/Spring built into the base plate.

As the unit heats up. The whole fan tilts backwards slightly changing the warm airflow direction. From cool start up stove top temp, to a hot, then back to cooling stove, the fan body inc blades tilt from horizontal warm air flow direction, through several degrees vertically. Circulating the warm air found at height in the room also. (I think)

I'm going to put a multimeter across the two wires going to the tiny electric motor on my old eco fan. If the voltage is high enough to drive the unit fan blade motor and have enough voltage/wattage to drive another small (kids toy DC low voltage motor. I'm going to play at attaching a smaller fan blade to a second low voltage motor and place this auxiliary fan below the woodburner at the rear. Blowing more warm air from the stove at a lower point. It could make a difference to the lower level wagon temperature. I bought a new eco fan from Aldi today. Thinking I could run two fans in extreme cold weather at the same time. I have the masport fatso stove

So lots of room on the hot plate for two fans and a kettle.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

I think the bimetallic strip on the bottom is to tilt the base away from the stove to reduce the contact area when hot stop the seebeck module (the white bit that produces the power) from overheating and being damaged. The high temperature ones can only cope with about 350C, I think

lupintheif. your correct. Having read reviews and the bumf hidden inside the box that came with it.

First time I've bothered reading the 'instructions'
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is a lot of debate amongst the boating community as to if 'they work'. After much playing over the years I've found they do work but at the higher temperature/faster spin end. The type Aldi are selling have a working temperature range of 110-345C (230-650F).

Here's a stove fan review
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.