THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Tiny Mice.

Tiny Mice.

After reading a recent post by Maxal about tiny mice in his mother's garden it reminded me of one I found years ago.

We have been in this house nearly 10 years now and this happened within the first 12 months of us being there.

It was a cold but not frosty Autumn morning and I spotted it sitting there in front of my shed, on closer inspection it was dead, but it was a tiny little thing, fully formed with fur and a tail, everything a mouse should have but the size of my thumbnail or maybe a bumblebee if you don't know how big my thumb is
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I picked it up and put it on next door's wheelie bin because I knew it would frighten the living daylights out of her
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    after about an hour I thought about it and how small it was so I went out to retrieve it but it was gone, I have never before or since seen a mouse so small.

So is this a type rodent I have never heard of or a freak of nature or what???? Anybody know?
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

Could it have been a harvest mouse ? They are quite tiny.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I dunno mate, I have seen plenty of mice in my life but I always thought they were all... well - mouse size lol are harvest mice really so small?

They are much smaller than a normal mouse.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

Well ya learn something new everyday eh. Ta.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Species of meeces

Also dormice

Last edited by NomadicRT; 07-10--2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Ta for that, but I grew up being told here was such a thing as a "Field Mouse" but there aint one on there lol, must've been the wood mouse. hahaha
    The following users think this post is groovy: pyke13

Originally Posted by wurzel
    Ta for that, but I grew up being told here was such a thing as a "Field Mouse" but there aint one on there lol, must've been the wood mouse. hahaha

It amuses me that you put it on next doors bin to scare her. You're like a naughty school boy!

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    It amuses me that you put it on next doors bin to scare her. You're like a naughty school boy!

We live on a small lane with fields front and back right next to a titled estate, the neighbours were townies that hadn't been there long, I just happened to mention to her partner one day about seeing a mouse in our house and he said not to let her know there was mice around as she would freak out !!
    .... I mean come on, mice in that setting, some people eh!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Best not mention the rats bats and snakes then eh ?

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Maybe it was a young mouse ?

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Maybe it was a young mouse ?
    But young mice are naked and pink ya know, that's what was weird about it, it was the size of a pinkie but in adult form