THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cornwall New Traveller Project

Van Dweller in Cornwall Pagan1981's Avatar

Lightbulb Cornwall New Traveller Project

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping that a few people might be interested in the following. If so please get in touch.

First, a little bit of background. My partner and I have been living in a van for a few years now and as most of you know, life isn't all roses. We are constantly trying to figure out where the next meal is coming from and know several people in the same situation.

Cornwall Council have recently been told to sort their act out when it comes to the provision of authorised pitches for travellers. So they have pulled their fingers out and are in the process of opening three new 'transit' sites for travellers across the county.

Unfortunatly, New Travellers (those who chose to addoped a nomadic life), are not going to be accepted on these sites as they will be reserved for travelers belonging to ethnic groups such as Roma and Irish travellers.

I approched the council about how to get on to a traveller's site only to be told 'no chance'. Further to that, people who do use the site will be expected to pay for the services, and will be liable to pay council tax and rent. Further investigation revealed that no council help can be provided to 'New' Travellers as we are apparently 'intentionally homeless' and the council "cannot be seen to support homelessness"

An in-depth report about the requirements for travellers has been published which states the need to a site spicifically for new travellers in Cornwall. Dispite this, there are no plans to create such a place.

So, I am going to make one.

A brief bit of research shows the need for a dedicated site, funding is available and achieveable, and there is even an authorised traveller site for sale in west Cornwall.

What I need is a handful of people who would be interested in forming an official (legally constituted) group to make this happen. Including myself, we only really need three people to get the ball rolling.

If you identify as a 'New Traveller' and are based in Cornwall, please get in touch. I'm also very interested in hearing anyone else's experience of discrimination against van dwellers in the Southwest.

This project is still in it's very early stages, so further details will be produced in time.

Thanks everyone!

Chris
    cornwallntp.wordpress.com
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Chazz, Lightbringer, Markthemod, marshlander, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, treestump, Wulfie

Nice one Chris. I know of someone else with similar plans looking more Bristol way. I would be interested in forming part of your constituted group, but not residing in Cornwall would make meetings costly and difficult for me. Should I move to Cirnwall that wouldn't be an issue in the longrun. But keep us informed. If more small satellite groups with the same end goal communicate, all the better.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    hi, i,m from the duchy and know the problems of finding a long term parkup in the county,good luck with your plans

Tuning In
    Thing is arnt some council traveller sites rents circa 120 a week plus council tax! And if your not marrying into the family you are not coming in!

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    hi, i,m from the duchy and know the problems of finding a long term parkup in the county,good luck with your plans
    Duchy???

Originally Posted by pyke13
    Duchy???

Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

yup duchy, tis a cornish thing, we seldom call it cornwall either the duchy or kernow

Pagan1981 have you had much contact with these folk?

what are your views? Have they been helpful.

Can you pm me a link/details of the site that you say is up for sale?

think tis on preloved steve, near helston, 7 acres offers invited
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

@aliceswonderland

Thank you so much for your reply. I will be in touch with further details ASAP.

In terms of living in the area, it's more important that you are aware of or have experienced the lack of support for van dwellers. The organisations we will be applying for funding from prefer to see people who have first hand experience of the issues, rather than where they live.

Only end users of the project are geographically limited.

Of course, if the project takes off we will be looking at expanding further afield but it's early days yet.

Thanks again!

think tis on preloved steve, near helston, 7 acres offers invited
    That's the one. It's also listed with MAP Estate agents at 250000.

Originally Posted by treeboy
    Thing is arnt some council traveller sites rents circa 120 a week plus council tax! And if your not marrying into the family you are not coming in!
    In a word, yes. As far as I'm aware, the three sites available at the moment are ouccupied by traditional (ethnic) Traveller families who, as you say, don't welcome new travellers.

Besides that, I believe all the sites are full.

Cornwall council are aware of the need for a new traveller site.

Hi,

I would love to hear in more detail the issues you have faced. Any chance you could fill me via a message?

Happy to keep it anon.

Thanks

Transcending
    May be able to put you in touch with Bristol folk, I'll put out feelers
    The following users think this post is groovy: Pagan1981

I am interested

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Pagan1981

I've read all the planning correspondence referring to the site for sale. It would appear they are adamant the planning oermision is for the two caravans (only) The 'residential' area isn't the whole of the brownfield site and only refferes to the plot where the two caravans are located. That's not to say that the decision can't be reviewed, subject to a new planning application. But I doubt it will be successful, due to the circumstances the original planning application was granted.

Nice pad for anyone who wants to partner up and live in a caravan each.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I've read all the planning correspondence referring to the site for sale.
    Hello again,

Yep, I'm aware that it has what they call 'single pitch' planning permission. I'm not relying on that site as by the time everything is in place it's bound to be sold. The council, from what I understand, having spoken to a planning officer, would look favourably on projects that would help the Council fulfil their obligation to create nearly 200 traveller pitches in the next 13 years.

I have also spoken to people at the Big Lottery Fund, who have confirmed that it would be something they would consider funding in part. There is also an organisation I'm in touch with called the Community Land Trust, that will be helping with the initial stages of planning the project.

Currently I'm neck deep in contacting potential stakeholders (National Trust, South West Lakes Trust, Commons Committees etc) to get an idea of the support behind the project.

There is a draft constitution (very rough draft) up on the website cornwallntp.wordpress.com if anyone wants to have a look and suggest anything that needs changing, adding removing etc.

Lastly, Has a chat with the project manager over at traveller Space who is keen to help out, even if only as an adviser and sign-posting service.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Alf M
    Thanks! I appreciate your help in any way. The more people the better!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Alf M
    Thanks, Let me know how it goes.
    cornwallntp.wordpress.com
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, pyke13

Heavenly Creature
    If you get things in place n need a ground worker, drainer n builder, bricklayer give me a shout. We might be able to come to some sort of agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

On free labour

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda thing

Tuning In
    Hmmm, so I need to be Roma or Irish Traveller to be "intentionally homeless", otherwise I have to live somewhere?

Isn't it discrimination on ethnical grounds?

Heavenly Creature
    Not quite. To get on formal traveller's sites you have to be Roma or Irish gypsy. New Travellers who are van dwellers are seen as intentionally homeless.

Transcending
    Not necessarily, depends on why you left your last "settled accommodation" but is broadly irrelevant if we're talking site provision.
    Intentionality will only come into the picture if you're asking local authority for emergency housing.

Tuning In

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Not quite. To get on formal traveller's sites you have to be Roma or Irish gypsy. New Travellers who are van dwellers are seen as intentionally homeless.
    Well, that's what I am trying to find (remember, I am still pretty much outsider, so something that would be obvious for you might not be obvious to me, it's often that people don't realize that for the outsider something can be new, so forgive me if my question seems dull).

As far as I understand, those travellers sites are only provided to Roma and Irish Travellers people. But I know some Roma people who are settled, have homes and everything. What if they decide to go on the road? Will they be allowed to use those sites? Because if they can do it and I cannot, then I don't understand how this is not a discrimination?

Or is it simply provided for existing travelling people only, and they happened to be all Roma and Travellers? And if yes, what if one of them would like to try settled lifestyle, are they allowed to get back to travelling? Because in that case it is also not fair, they have their lifestyle and can try mine, and I can't try theirs?

Or am I reading something wrong here?

Heavenly Creature
    It kinda is like calling me a jock. Its discrimination but its allowed. To be classed as a travellar in. The uk you must be of certian heritage. Roma gypsy, irish travellar, scottish travella and i think theres a welsh variant. These groups are recognised by law, new travellar isnt classed as a race, has no history(compaed to the others) so therefore is classed as homless by choice, therefore not obliged to be helped

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by orys

As far as I understand, those travellers sites are only provided to Roma and Irish Travellers people. But I know some Roma people who are settled, have homes and everything. What if they decide to go on the road? Will they be allowed to use those sites? Because if they can do it and I cannot, then I don't understand how this is not a discrimination?
    Wow that's a damn good point. I can't argue with that, but I bet the councils would.