THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Mirror Window Film

Mirror Window Film

'ello,

Anyone here ever stuck that mirror/limo tint film over their windows for a bit more privacy?

The stuff is supposed to work wonders in the daytime, but I'm worried that come night it will go the other way and I wont be able to keep a nosey on what's happening outside!

Living in the city mostly it'd be nice sometimes to have the option of getting a bit of light into the place without being on display to every passing nosey parker.

Ta!
    Matt
    The following users think this post is groovy: jjstubbs

Yes, and no. Mirror film only goes one way.

Imagine a network of tiny black dots printed onto the window film, then silver reflective dots are printed on top. The opacity is actually identical both ways, but the human eye cannot see through the gaps as they are too small and the reflection too strong. The brighter the reflection outside the less than can be seen through, so in the dark with zero outside source of light people will be able to see inside if the lights are on, add a streetlight, and they won’t, But on the inside all you see in both bright daylight or in the dark is the fine network of non reflective black dots which looks like a normal tinted window, so you can still see through.
    The following users think this post is groovy: jjstubbs

Heavenly Creature
    I had tinted windows on my last van, from th inside a night it was just a bit darker than it was outside but ppl outside. Still couldnt see in
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

I've got it on some of my wagon windows. It's really effective at stopping people staring inside, but I also found more people looking at themselves in the mirror reflection. So they still pay just as much attention to the wagon as if it was lit up like a Christmas tree.
    I've yet to be quick enough to drop my trousers and wave my ass at those who decide it's time they tidied their hair.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

There are different degrees of tint and vast differences in price so look around

I've been buying 'left overs' from the 'sports car' chavs over the years, when they take it to carboot sales. I've a vast array of oddments and some new rolls. The largest roll is still boxed and must be 1.5m wide in gold-ish tint.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Thanks everyone, sounds like the only mistake to be made here is putting it on the wrong way around :-)

As you say Bernie, wild price differentials on ebay. Different sellers boasting different light differentials too for the film to work too. I've seen 4:1, 3:1, and 2:1. Despite all that, it's all probably all off of the same factory line in china anyway.

Ta,
    Matt

It is only 5 quid a meter, try MDP supplies. They tend to just sell the better quality professional products, as that is who they sell to.

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/onewaymirror.asp

Id like to get some for my plastic windows but can't seem to find them.id love to be able to nosy out without people seeing me.

Theres loads on ebay if you search window tint film,LV posted a link to some also and you can fiind it any motor accessory store.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...