THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Van to Motorhome Classification DVLA

Van to Motorhome Classification DVLA

Hey

Soon I'm thinking of taking the photos and reclassifying my van as a motorhome with the DVLA

I have questions. To those who may have done this before.

I have looked at the list of things required.

I can prove most of the things they would like me to show with photos.

There are a couple of things I can adjust if I need to ... but wonder if I need to really.

One of these is the chairs. They are not fixed to the vehicle floors or wall. This is because I like to use the floor space. ... not for getting in my lawnmower to secretly work from the vehicle... but so that I can sit on the floor and meditate like any other van living hippy would

I suppose they basically just want to see a load of things to show it's not a commercial vehicle anymore.. or am I wrong.. will they literally check the list and if I don't have everything on it proved they will deny my application?

Can they demand that I get the electrics and gas etc accredited?

How strict are they basically?

I'd like to get this done by the end of December so want to get the application in soon.

Plus! If they say no.. then where does that leave me? With a van that has been modified.. but is not accepted as a campervan.. could I end up stitching myself up with huge insurance premiums??

Any tips?

They'll check the list, you have to remember it wont be some "expert" looking at your photos, it'll just be some office bod ticking boxes and if they fail it first time they might flag it for inspection second time. Just get some brackets and screw the chairs to the floor for the photos they tend to be expecting a bed/sofa kind of unit but screwed down seats at a fixed table should do the job.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Mot

Exactly as above, get some brackets and screw it to the floor. Make sure the fixings are visible in the photo that you take.

Once you have the pic throw the brackets away again!

No requirements to have gas or electric checked. There is a document on the gov website that lists requirements. Take a photo of each, and make sure that your letter refers to each requirement and the picture.

Heavenly Creature
    Im going to print out my pics and write the description on the back of each one, read somepplace thats the way to do it. Im away o send mine off this weekend, its just the table im unsure about. Mines a cupboard door hinged at the top with a seperate leg to keep it up

Heavenly Creature
    The table sounds fine to me. The door is screwed to the cupboard and the cupboards screwed to the van so it is fixed isn't it?

the table can be removable as long as whatever it attaches to is fixed to the van, so it can have brackets that hook into slots or a channel it slides into or just some wood battening it rests on for example.

You just have to remember when they wrote the list they went looking at some avearge camper vans so many will have a table that slots between two seats to make a bed and then into a channel in the wall higher up between the seats to become the table. So as long as yours is comparable to that kind of arrangement it'll be fine.

It's going to be annoying to drill holes in my floor for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    It's going to be annoying to drill holes in my floor for nothing
    Why drill holes ? , hard to tell from a photo that them screws 'fixing it to the floor' are just screw heads and the table/chair is just a prop ...
    The following users think this post is groovy: jjstubbs, Mot, Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    For picture purposes, small balls of screwed up foil look like screw heads
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
    Why drill holes ? , hard to tell from a photo that them screws 'fixing it to the floor' are just screw heads and the table/chair is just a prop ...
    This is what i did. Cut the top off some bolts or screws and just sit them on the mount, in a photo they look like they go into the floor.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Mot

Pretty hard to see screws in photos anyway, this is how mine came when i bought it, have added a few more bits just need to sort the table so i can get pics to send off. I'm redoing the floor and other panelling anyway so it doesn't matter in mine but gives you an idea how easy it is to get it done.

I wont pretend I hadn't thought of those options . I'll definitely not do that then
    The following users think this post is groovy: popuptoaster