THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 40

Thread: I need to lose weight

  1. #1
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332

    I need to lose weight

    Due to a change in circumstances, laziness and comfort food I have piled on the pounds over the last few years and I really do need to get down to an acceptable (acceptable for me) weight.

    I am 51 years old 175cm (5,9) high and weigh a little under 95kg (15 stone, 210lbs) so I need to lose about 20kg which is a fith of my body weight.

    This was not a problem -more an annoyance- until I had a letter from the doctor asking me to come in to have my blood pressure checked using their automatic BP machine in the lobby of the surgery. I them got another letter telling me I had high blood pressure and needed to be fitted with a 24hr BP monitor. This is happening on Monday. I don't know what my BP is at the moment as I didn;t take much notice of the results because for one, I didn;t really understand them. And for two, I though Hypertension was something that happened to other people. I keep forgetting that I am in my fifties now. I honestly believe I am still in my twenties.

    The other thing that happened was I was researching the symptoms of Stroke for a mug I am designing and I realised if I didn't do something right now I was setting myself up for problems in the future.

    So, what are your tips and tricks for shedding the pounds and lowering blood pressure.

    I have cut out carbs from my diet and have started cycling to and from work again (24 hilly kilometers)

    Paul
    PⒶUL


  2. #2
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,460
    Walk more. I lost a lot of weight when simple little things like going to the bathroom is a five minute walk!!
    I eat like a horse, but haven't put the weight on.
    That said, I am nobody's idea of thin!
    Also, I only sit down to drive. Everything else, I stand. There was a journalist that tried this for a month. She did nothing else like alter her diet or take more exercise.
    She lost three pounds in one month.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  3. #3
    Abandon ship. Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,268
    Have you cut out fizzy drinks and fruit juice?
    We all lead different lives.

  4. #4
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    I have never been one for fizzy drinks or fruit juice. I do drink a lot of coffee which I know is not goo for my BP but I am reducing that.

    Paul
    PⒶUL

  5. #5
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,460
    That's another thing. Last time I was tested my BP was spot on, despite my eating anything and everything and my cup of coffee being made with two tablespoons of instant.
    I put it down to walking.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  6. #6
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    What sort of walking do you do? Is it power walking with weights?

    Paul
    PⒶUL

  7. #7
    The cycling will do it for you. I,m 55 and lost 12 kilos in past year now 82 kilos and same height as you. Cycling will create muscle which weighs more so your 20 kilos target is not necessarily so important. I now like cycling so much I do it for fun.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, zendaze

  8. #8
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by losingbaggage View Post
    The cycling will do it for you. I,m 55 and lost 12 kilos in past year now 82 kilos and same height as you. Cycling will create muscle which weighs more so your 20 kilos target is not necessarily so important. I now like cycling so much I do it for fun.
    Thanks.
    I do love cycling although I sometimes don't like the thought of cycling in the winter rain I always love it once I am on the road. I have just signed up for (and got roped into helping organise) a 24 hour road race. Should be fun. I like having a scary goal to work towards.

    Paul
    PⒶUL

  9. #9
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,460
    I just walk! Normal brisk walking. From the van to a shop, out with the dogs. Doing a bit of wombling!
    It's an unusual day for me to do less than 10,000 steps. Yesterday was 16,000+.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  10. #10
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,140
    Soup!

    I find that drinking lots of soup has helped me to keep my weight down - I don't want to be juicing or making smoothies all the time, so I'm quite happy to buy a carton of decent soup that's already been made for me. (Glorious are a great brand).

    Not exactly living off the land, but I do like a little convenience.

    Apart from that, avoiding white carbs (or carbs that can be turned white) - so bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc.

    Also, ditch dairy. Regardless of my ethical stance, dairy contains estrogen, and it's my belief that filling your body with the female hormones of another species is asking for trouble. An ex of mine cut out dairy and noticed an awesome change to her body - she lost weight and got better definition and all without any effort or any other changes.

    Exercise is important, but not as important as diet.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  11. #11
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Thanks Paul

    Avoiding all of the above except a little bit of milk and butter in my scrambled eggs in the morning. I might try it without whilst I am trying to loose weight but I do like milk and butter with my eggs

    Paul
    PⒶUL

  12. #12
    If you want fast effective weight loss you should look into a ketogenic diet. Its very easy to stick to after the first couple of days with no sugar cravings or hunger pangs. Dietdoctor is a good place to start researching. Its a good diet plan for people with hormonal or thyroid problems that just cant shift the weight any other way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  13. #13
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis loved burg View Post
    If you want fast effective weight loss you should look into a ketogenic diet. Its very easy to stick to after the first couple of days with no sugar cravings or hunger pangs. Dietdoctor is a good place to start researching. Its a good diet plan for people with hormonal or thyroid problems that just cant shift the weight any other way.
    That looks very similar to the Palio diet I currently try to stick to.

    This picture taken from the diet doctor website pretty much resembles what I eat during the week



    I eat a little different at the weekend as I do have a couple of beers and maybe a packet of crisps.

    I feel good on the palio

    Paul
    PⒶUL

  14. #14
    Radiant Being emmadilemma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Gender
    Female
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    Thanks Paul

    Avoiding all of the above except a little bit of milk and butter in my scrambled eggs in the morning. I might try it without whilst I am trying to loose weight but I do like milk and butter with my eggs

    Paul
    Vitalite margarine has quite a buttery taste but is plant based so is less fattening..

  15. #15
    Transcending
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South West
    Gender
    Private
    Posts
    504
    That's quite a daily ride. I don't want to sabotage you but unless it's really difficult to get there another way I wouldn't rely on keeping to that unless you're already used to a lot of riding, or are a super committed person.
    On the other hand if you stick with that without just increasing calorie intake to compensate then it should be enough to shape up without drastic dieting I would have thought. If you're eating healthily already then it'll just be reducing some fat/carbon/stray calory intake somewhere.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  16. #16
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    I do love cycling and Iam used to cycling longer distances. I used to commute 25 miles in and 25 miles out in the past so 9 miles is not too bad. It is just that I have been a bit lax of late.

    I am not finding the ride too taxing now. The first couple of days were a bit of a shock to the system but now I am into it it is not too bad. I just have to resist the temptation to race people half my age who are probably only going a couple of miles and have no clue that they are in a race.

    Anyway, I am not commuting now, I am training for a 24 hour road race

    I have promised my wife that I will look like this by next summer



    Paul
    PⒶUL

  17. #17
    Fasting is the only thing that worked for me. I tried all diets: low calories diets, intermittent fasting, 16/8, 5/2, ketogenic. I failed all of them. But now I have a period of 4-6 days every two months of complete water fasting. The only thing I take is an electrolyte supplement with water and a bit of salt.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  18. #18
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
    Fasting is the only thing that worked for me. I tried all diets: low calories diets, intermittent fasting, 16/8, 5/2, ketogenic. I failed all of them. But now I have a period of 4-6 days every two months of complete water fasting. The only thing I take is an electrolyte supplement with water and a bit of salt.
    I would like to find out a bit more about that. Would I have to abstain from strenuous exercise whilst fasting
    PⒶUL

  19. #19
    Abandon ship. Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,268
    Have you tried putting coconut oil in you breakfast and lunch? Don't have it at night time though. What about cutting out non-green vegetables?
    We all lead different lives.

  20. #20
    The Cat Summoner rhythm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Narnia
    Gender
    X
    Posts
    4,674
    I think the key to losing weight is regular exercise and a balanced diet, obviously check with your GP if you have any health issues, to get some professional advice before starting anything. Losing weight takes time, i'm trying to lose some myself, been going to the gym for the past couple of months, one of the key things I think is maintaining the motivation to do stuff, it is very easy to get in the habit of leaving things for another day.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

  21. #21
    Non of this matters NomadicRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Dark Chrystal
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,945
    If you dont want to cycle in winter (who does really) but want as good a workout (actually its much better) get yourself an erg rowing machine or go to the gym and use theirs.I had a Concept2 until someone stole it from my garage and theyre about the best.Most gyms use a concept 2 but theyre expensive.V Fit do a similar type i got mine I have now for 40 quid off gumtree.

    2km at 35 strokes a min twice or three times a day.You may have to start around 25 for a few days and work up.
    Rowing exercises every part of you particularly the large muscle groups that burn fat.Buttocks thighs calves back abdominals shoulders biceps triceps pectorals..Youll look like Mr Poldark in no time.....but you need to eat properly too and drink 2ltrs water a day at least or youll get tired very quickly.
    Cornwall is known for its sea rowing so you should easily find an indoor rowing club(if you wanted-if youve an indoor space and your own erg you wouldnt need to)
    There are no shortcuts to weight loss that work long term except the right amount of food and the right amount of exercise.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 18-10--2017 at 02:01 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

  22. #22
    The cycling if maintained will be enough and should allow you to eat pretty much anything you like.

    The physiological impact of cycling can be improved by utilising the intermittent sprint/ coast technique (I forget the proper term)......go hard for a burst then soft for a burst.

    A mate swears by fasting two days per week on top of exercise.....I'd rather time my nutrient intake to benefit muscle tissue post exercise....

    Easy for me to say.....tis a long time since I've bothered.

    Take comfort in the fact that if you do die prematurely it might free a little (much needed) space for the next generation.

    High blood pressure in the UK is something of a norm.....

    Curiously so.....

    I wonder why?
    Last edited by zendaze; 18-10--2017 at 07:28 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

  23. #23
    Heavenly Creature Editor aman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cornwall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Have you tried putting coconut oil in you breakfast and lunch? Don't have it at night time though. What about cutting out non-green vegetables?
    No I haven't tried coconut in my eggs. Is it to replace the butter? I am not too worried about the butter to be honest. Why not coconut at night time?


    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    If you dont want to cycle in winter (who does really) but want as good a workout (actually its much better) get yourself an erg rowing machine or go to the gym and use theirs.I had a Concept2 until someone stole it from my garage and theyre about the best.Most gyms use a concept 2 but theyre expensive.V Fit do a similar type i got mine I have now for 40 quid off gumtree.

    2km at 35 strokes a min twice or three times a day.You may have to start around 25 for a few days and work up.
    Rowing exercises every part of you particularly the large muscle groups that burn fat.Buttocks thighs calves back abdominals shoulders biceps triceps pectorals..Youll look like Mr Poldark in no time.....but you need to eat properly too and drink 2ltrs water a day at least or youll get tired very quickly.
    Cornwall is known for its sea rowing so you should easily find an indoor rowing club(if you wanted-if youve an indoor space and your own erg you wouldnt need to)
    There are no shortcuts to weight loss that work long term except the right amount of food and the right amount of exercise.
    I do love rowing but I just don't have the time for it at the moment. I wish I had room for a rowing machine.

    This is me competing in the two castles race off falmouth a few years ago

    energy.jpg

    Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

  24. #24
    Abandon ship. Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,268
    Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    No I haven't tried coconut in my eggs. Is it to replace the butter? I am not too worried about the butter to be honest. Why not coconut at night time?







    Paul
    Because it contains medium chain triglycerides (MCT) that can only be burned as energy and cannot be stored. I found it keeps me awake when I want to go to sleep.
    We all lead different lives.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •